[Assam] What if-- music- Grammy's results and relations

umesh sharma jaipurschool at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 18:57:59 PST 2006

It seems that Indian music people can learn a thing or two (if not more) from the choices Grammy awarders make - to keep cohesion in the US society.

  They have a category for Native American Music (Red Indian ) which was won this year by Sacred Ground - A Tribute To Mother Earth
Various Artists
Jim Wilson, producer
[Silverwave Records/Katahdin Productions]
http://www.grammy.com/Grammy_Awards/Annual_Show/48_nominees.aspx

  They have another for Hawiian music : won by
  Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar - Vol. 1
Various Artists
Daniel Ho, Paul Konwiser & Wayne Wong, producers
[Daniel Ho Creations]

  In World Music - Traditonal music category  Lama Tashi was beaten by :
  In The Heart Of The Moon
Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté
[World Circuit/Nonesuch]

  ( a muslim group -showing solidarity with Islam in wake of the current Islamic cartoon in western press controversy)

  In World Music's Contemporary music - there are 2 Indian songs ( of Asha Bhosle and Grammy winner Ravi Shankar's daughter) among the five nominees - Latino music won - showing support for Latinos among the US population.

  Perhaps Indian music awards should also have categories which reflect the amazing diversity within India. A special category for North East music , another for Andaman and Lakshwadeep music etc.

  To highlight the progress of Blacks in USA - the only black senator in US Congress -and only the third in its entire history of 200 years (a Harvard Law School graduate) Barack Obama also won a Grammy :
  Dreams From My Father (Senator Barack Obama)
Senator Barack Obama
[Random House Audio]

  Umesh

umesh sharma <jaipurschool at yahoo.com> wrote:
    for those interested - the NY Times article on Swedish experiment with refugees from developing countries and who benefited -- has been posted on http://jaipurschool.bihu.in/470/ -- before it falls on Premium content on www.nyt.com

  Umesh

umesh sharma <jaipurschool at yahoo.com> wrote:
    My heart goes out to Debojit .. outlook chief

  http://www.rediff.com/movies/2006/feb/02peri.htm

  Debojit  taking NE by storm

  http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=3210

  My comment: What if the woman in the audience at Sa Re Ga Ma was trying to say " Choose someone who represents (the whole of) India and not (just) Assam."
  And she ate up words in the excitement of being able to speak in national TV. I eat words alll the time (mostly the word "no").

  And why judge the attitude of the whole nation on the basis of what this one woman said. But ofcourse the other contestants walked out - including the girl Himani -who so easily "falls in love " with my NRI kid roommate since then she can promote her career in USA. What do these tell us about other contestants - and do they represent entire India. Is it anyway worse than how Dalits are treated in remote villages of India in general or how tribals and Biharis are treated in Guwahati or Delhi or Jaipur.

  Many a times in USA my brownskinned NRI kid roommate has recently been told "why don't you go back from where you came from?" -- by his angry fellow countrymen in Washington DC -of all races(he does have a quick temper). Does that make him want to go back to India. He always says that he would - one day - but I do not think such a day would come anytime soon -esp if he marries some Indian girl who wants to make it big in USA. Why do blacks continued to stay in US for centuries and not go back to Africa even when they could -- just like some Indians want to leave India (secede)  at the first excuse (even when they are already in USA!!). What are the reasons why someone is ready to stay on and others are ready to flee?

  Reminds me of Sweden in 1980s which was taking in 90% of those who wanted asylum - anyone and everyone who could prove that s/he was victmized in their homeland got Swedish residency-as per a recent NY Times report. So many cooked up stories and came to Sweden. The people who are really victimised do not generaly have the knowledge and the means to get thru the paperwork to seek asylum status - anyway.

  http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=3210

5121 Lackawanna ST
College Park, MD 20740

1-202-215-4328 [Cell Phone]