[Assam] Fw: Plea to change name of State to 'Aso m'-AT

Barua25 barua25 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:52:31 PST 2006

Re: [Assam] Plea to change name of State to 'Aso m'-AT
Chandan, Ram & Others:
I just want to make another point.
When we adopt a Roman letter to represent a sound in Assamese, we should not try to bend backwards and worry if others will understand it and will be able to make the proper pronunciation. A case in point is the Spanish place names in America;
In this country, we have place names like SAN JOSE.  They could have written SAN HOJE the way it is pronounced to satisfy the English speakers.
In Assamese also if we decide to write Chongkordev, Chiboxagor, Chapekhati, Choikia, Chorma, Chotriya, (ie if we decide to use Ch =Assamese Xo sound) we can do so and non Assamese will gradually pronounce it correctly. That way Assamese can show some original thinking and Assamese nationality.  Today the only reason we donot do that is to satisfy our big brother Indians because the X, Ch sound not there.

Another point I want to make is the following:

The Assamese try to use the vowel A sometime for the Assamese vowel Hosro O mainly because in Hindi and Sanskrit they use it. They also use the double vowel AA to represent the Dighro A. But it does not need to be a expert in phonetics to realize that this is wrong in Assamese. They do it because they have TWO As. Hosro A (which we call Hosro O) and Dihgho A.  Following is the explanation:

In Hindi, they DONOT pronounce the Hosro O as we Assamese do like O=Only.
They pronounce Hosro O like U=Up.
Hosro A is pronounced as U=Up and Dirgho A is pronounced as A=Father.

Ignorant Assamese intellectuals and scholars decided to follow the big brother Hindi and Sanskrit without realizing that in Assamsese the Hosro O is actually pronounced as O=Only.

This is eveident if one observe some of the spelling to Hindi or Sanskrit words.
For instance, in Hindi the following words are spelled with Hosro O (ie Assamese O) in the first vowel.
Koman, Komiz, Komal, Chona, Bokos, but are pronounced as U=Up (Kaman, Kamiz, Kamal, Chana, Bakos etc.)

Thus in Hindi when they use the letter A for Hosro O, they are correct. Beacsue they pronounce the Hosro O = U as in Up.

But in Assamese we pronounce the Hosro O = O as in Only. Therefore we cannot and should NOT try to use A for Hosro O only simply because our big brother Hindiwala are using it.

In the word Asom also, it applies.  Looking at the letter A, a Hindiwala will pronounce it Usom but not Osom.

Rajen