[Assam] AT: 'Regional issues don't get priority in national media'

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Mon Feb 13 08:49:24 PST 2006

>busy with elections and campaigns.

*** That is a very simplistic way of deciding it isn't it? The same
old concept of elections as the test of democracy!

IF indeed they do represent the people of Assam, WHY the insurgency?
Why did Kakopothar happen?  Why are there statewide 'bandhs' back to
back?

The fact is that the Indian elections are a farce, a sham. The people
have no SAY in truly selecting their candidates. The candidates are
arbitrarily selected and the campaigns are controlled by vested
interests thru their willing servants of the government establishment.

The Assam Govt. is NOT therefore a TRUE representation of the people
of Assam, nor do they serve their real needs, as has been
demonstrated over and over again.

>Do the insurgents represent the people? If so, can you explain how
>you have measured that?

*** See above!