[Assam] Indian doctors in UK battle poverty and frustration

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 09:46:31 PST 2006

C'da,
>Those who give at least moral support to those who >are fighting for as
noble a >cause as the pursuit of FREEDOM, are doing something constructive,
as opposed >to the nay-sayers and the fence-sitters wrapped up in their
dubious morality.

While I can accept that to an extent, this same logic can be applied to the
nay-sayers.
Most nay-sayers, I know, want the best for Assam. They feel that Assam would
be worse off if independent. And that is why they are opposed to what they
see as a self-destructive force by the pro-independence group.They too do
not want their xonor Oxom vanish into oblivion.

Consider the backdrop: The people heading this movement (insurgents) have
NOT proven that they are in the right direction.

This 20 odd years of violence as a means to assert their view points, in my
opinion has shown that they are worse than Delhi. Their thriving on amassing
wealth thru extortions is no feather in their caps either.

Revolutionaries too must have some code of ethics - specially when they
claim that the GOI is the big bad ogre here.

Over and above all this, the leaders of the insurgency do not have a
concrete plan on how they expect to reach their goals of a free Assam. Such
a plan would be needed to convince people.

But if they feel that the people are ALREADY convinced, then they should
just go all out and wage a full-scale insurgency against India (as they
supposedly have the entire state wrapped in their ideas).

Bad just mouthing the GOI may garner some support for their cause, but in
the end people are going to weigh their options. They can't go on saying
'those guys are bad and we are the alternative'.

Remember how the Dems lost (not once but twice) - all they kept saying was
Bush was bad - but really did not offer the public any concrete plan as to
what they would do.
Moral of the story is one can't win by just saying the other guy is bad.-:)

> [...]
> >>  >
> >>  >It may be that 'pride' to show the natives that they are 'phoreners'.
> >>  >
> >>  >>I hear >there is a reverse exodus in the making -- for desis
> >>  >>returning to the >boom town of India.
> >>  >
> >>  >Yes, there is a reverse exodus, but its not a stampede yet. As soon
as
> >>  >the immigrants can command similar wages ($ for $ or pound for pound)
> >>  >in India, you would see the money trail.
> >>  >
> >>  >Immigrants will go back only for money (in most cases). I have yet to
> >>  >hear of any one going back to 'serve' the desh.
> >>  >
> >>  >In any case, haven't heard of any NRAs going back to Assam with that
> >>  >purpose in mind or to help her in 'her struggle for independence'.
> >>  >
> >>  >Mostly, its all about cash and more cash and that 'phoren' mentality.
> >>  >And we can find enough excuses why we don't go back.
> >>  >
> >>  >--Ram
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >On 2/14/06, Chan Mahanta <cmahanta at charter.net> wrote:
> >>  >>  Hi Rini:
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  That is pretty tragic.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  I have seen this report around before.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  Have only one question: I can understand B'deshis or
> >>Pakistanis' problems.
> >>  >>  But is there no room for these doctors in BOOMING India?  I
> >>hear there is a
> >>  >>  reverse
> >>  >>  exodus in the making -- for desis returning to the boom town of
India.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  Something does not sound right. Somebody isn't telling the truth.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  c
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  At 2:53 PM +0000 2/14/06, Rini Kakati wrote:
> >>  >>  They came, they saw, they became depressed - that, in short,
> >>is the story of
> >>  >>  thousands of young unemployed doctors from the Indian subcontinent
in
> >>  >>  Britain, hoping against hope to get a job in the National Health
Service