[Assam] Do Assamese have an inferiority complex?

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:50:26 PST 2006

Dear Barua,

 >I agree.  By refusing to indulge in the controversy of the definition of
>Assamese, Assam Sahitya Sabha has indeed declared to the world that it is a
>controversy for which it cannot offer any resolution.  Now this is a big
issue I >would say. ASS admitting that it is a issue like *'betonit poril
ow, baxudebaye >nomoh'.*
**
>This is winning point for Delhi who wants to take advantage of the
controversy.

>From the looks of it, this issue does seem to be controversial.
If it were a benign issue, the Sahitya Sabha would have had no problem in
giving their definition.
They may not have relaized that there was also a controversy with the name
Asom (instead of Oxom).

So, where do we stand?
The GOI will not do it, plus nobody will accept their definition.
The Sahitya Sabha will not do it. The GOA will not do it.
There are at least 4 or 5 different definitions floating around, and add to
that the numerous nuances hanging on to each word in the definition.

While some of are saying, it is really a fake issue. If it is, I don't think
the GOI will take it upon itself to get into every state's bidness and go
asking for such definitions. Why get into the trouble and getting itself
embroiled in one more headache?

--Ram