[Assam] [Frgraduates-list] Talks on Global Education - Teacher Training

umesh sharma jaipurschool at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 16:53:51 PST 2006

Those in the area might like to learn from an expert on Teacher Training -for developing countries.

  Dr/Prof. Elanora Velagas-Reimers is the Director of Teacher Training program at Wheelock College, nr Boston, Massachusetts -and a Harvard Alum with Ed. M. '84 and Ed. D. '88 . I attended her talk on teacher training as recently is last summer at Harvard's Summer Program for International Educators -who were  from edu. ministries of 20 countries. And as part of my course materials read her penetratingly clear articles like  "Where are the 60 million teachers?" (in the world there are about 60 million school teachers - she lists out their life and SWOT analysis - for both rich andd poor countries. She came to study at Harvard from Venezuela.

  Umesh

  PS: Now first hand I am learning in what circumstances a person opts for school teaching - and how rewarding it can be. Today I attended my first day at work as a subistitute teacher for 3-4 year olds at a day care center. Got a call in the morning at 8  ot go there. I was ficguring last night after going thru the profile of Harvard Ed. School dean - that she is an expert in edu of 0-5 year olds (Early Childhood ) and the Dean!! There must be a lot to learn.

   I indeed met another graduate at the daycare center -from my batch at Harvard -from Human Dev. and Psycho. program . She recognized me last time when I had come here for the interview -which included spending one hour with the kids. Maybe she is trying to figure out the Human dev and Psycho aspect of small kids.

reimerfe at gse.harvard.edu wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

The Wheelock College Center for International Education, Leadership, and
Innovation is pleased to announce information about the upcoming series of
forums entitled "Fostering Global Citizenship in Pre-Service Teacher
Education." This forum series is supported by a grant from The Longview
Foundation, whose mission is to help elementary and secondary students,
teachers, and teacher educators in the United States develop the knowledge,
attitudes, values, and skills for responsible citizenship in a complex,
interdependent world.

The Longview Foundation Presents Dr. Peggy McIntosh, Dr. Linda
Darling-Hammond, and Dr. Fernando Reimers

*
Dr. Peggy McIntosh, Founder and Co-Director of the National SEED Curriculum
on Inclusive Education and the Associate Director of Wellesley College
Center for Women, will serve as the inaugural keynote speaker for the
Longview Foundation Forum Series on Tuesday, April 4th, 2006. The event
will be held in the Ladd Room from 4:00 PM-6:00 PM. Dr. McIntosh will
present "Internationalizing Teacher Education: Current Issues in Policy."

*
Dr. Linda Darling-Hammond, The Charles E. Ducommun Professor of Education
at Stanford University and Executive Director of the National Commission on
Teaching and America's Future, will join us on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 .
She will discuss her research and her upcoming book, Powerful Teacher
Education, to be released in April, which features a case study of the
Wheelock College Teacher Education Programs. Dr. Darling-Hammond will hold
a book signing from 4:30 PM-6:00 PM and will then present from 7:00 PM-9:00
PM in the Ladd Room.
*
Dr. Fernando Reimers, Ford Foundation Professor of International Education
and Director of Global Education at the Harvard Graduate School of
Education, will discuss research as it relates to Globalizing Pre-Service
Teaching on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 . His presentation will take
place from 4:00 PM-6:00 PM in the Ladd Room.
*
We are working to secure the fourth speaker. This final event is expected
to take place during the week of November 13, 2006.

We would like to encourage everyone to attend. In addition, please
feel free to announce this to your students. These forums will be
enriching and exciting events for the entire community. Electronic
Registration for these events will be available through the Wheelock
College website very shortly. We look forward to seeing many of you there.

Best regards,
Joan Bergstrom

Joan M. Bergstrom, Ed.D.
Professor and Director
Center for International Education, Leadership, and Innovation
Wheelock College
200 Riverway
Boston, MA 02215
Phone: (617) 879-2227