[Assam] Is it ok not to want a girl child?

bg bgogoi at gmail.com
Thu May 3 01:55:15 PDT 2007

Is it ok not to want a girl child? Union Minister of State for Women and
Child Development (Independent Charge), Renuka Chowdhury recently announced
a palna scheme for the girl child. "We want to put a cradle, or palna, in
every district headquarters. What we are saying to people is, have your
children, don't kill them. And if you don't want a girl child, leave her to
us," Chowdhury said. The government will bear the expenses of bringing up
these girls. The palna scheme will be introduced in the upcoming 11th
Five-Year Plan (2007-2011) in coordination with state governments. "This is
part of our ministry's Integrated Child Development Scheme," an official
said, adding that the proposal had been submitted to the Planning
Commission.

(Hindustan Times.com, New Delhi, Feb. 18, 2007)