[Assam] Is it ok not to want a girl child?

umesh sharma jaipurschool at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 11:13:31 PDT 2007

I don't get the title. Looks like a catch 22 - my students are reading that novel (atleast a few have to).  maybe you mean why she focused only on girl child.

  Umesh

bg <bgogoi at gmail.com> wrote:
    Is it ok not to want a girl child?  Union Minister of State for Women and Child Development (Independent Charge), Renuka Chowdhury recently announced a palna scheme for the girl child. "We want to put a cradle, or palna, in every district headquarters. What we are saying to people is, have your children, don't kill them. And if you don't want a girl child, leave her to us," Chowdhury said. The government will bear the expenses of bringing up these girls. The palna scheme will be introduced in the upcoming 11th Five-Year Plan (2007-2011) in coordination with state governments. "This is part of our ministry's Integrated Child Development Scheme," an official said, adding that the proposal had been submitted to the Planning Commission.

  (Hindustan Times.com, New Delhi, Feb. 18, 2007)

Washington D.C.

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]

http://www.uknow.gse.harvard.edu/index.html

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/