[Assam] "DOI aru KOMAL CHAUL": OUR LONG LOST DELICACIES"

Himendra Thakur hthakur at comcast.net
Fri May 4 18:27:21 PDT 2007

Mr. Pranab Das
Ms Darsana Barua
Editors, Souvenir for the Assam Convention 2007

Dear Pranab and Bitu,
Attached please find the story-article "DOI aru KOMAL CHAUL: OUR LONG LOST DELICACIES" that I promised for the Souvenir for the Assam Convention 2007 as per letter from Pranab on April 27.
Apparently this story-article was liked by a number of readers in the Assamnet as per their letters below.
If you have any questions, please contact me.
With love to everybody,
Uncle Himendra

PS: For information of younger generation who may not know about "komal chaul" , I must inform them it is a unique variety of rice that is available only in Assam in the entire world --- you don't have to cook it! You just soak it in water, and it is ready! There is another delicious rice called "maniki-madhuri joha" --- a very fragrant, aromatic basmati rice. I am told that these varieties of rice are not available any more. That's a tragedy. The Assam Agricultural University should conduct a thorough research and restore these priceless grains. In fact, mass production of "maniki-madhuri joha" in Assam will outsmart all other basmati rice in the market and spread the aroma of Assam all over the world. Young persons should take up these projects. We should try some "komal saul, doi and gur" in our next Bihu one year from now!