[Assam] Multiple Time Zones in India

Manoj Das dasmk2k at gmail.com
Sun May 6 22:34:27 PDT 2007

The issue of having a separate local time for NER was first advocated by Mr
Khushwant Singh in his 'malice' column. He felt the need after visiting
Guwahati. I also wrote one or two letters in the Assam Tribune in support of
the idea. There was a Prliamentary question on this by Dr. Arun Sarma, MP.

A local time will not only save energy, but will also increase efficiency.
Tea gardens have their own time, which is nothing but the local time based
on the location of the Sun at noon. Kids going to Government schools will be
most benefitted. Now they go to school at 10 AM, which is actually 11:30 AM
as per local time. Human body is most active in the morning hours and by the
time office goers attend their offices, most of the energetic time is gone.
Efficiency will increase by more than 20%, if the local time is advanced by
1 and half hours. In the Hills it's dark by 4:30 PM.

Bangladesh which is to the West of us has half an hour lead. There is no
reason why, NER should not have a separate local time zone. We should think
logically and scientifically. In a resource starved economy like ours, every
possible wastage should be plugged.

-manoj