[Assam] Fwd: [asom] Re: Press Release on 'Fast unto Death'

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Tue May 8 07:00:26 PDT 2007

Wahid Kokaideu raises a valid question, as do the others of the ASOM
list.  It demonstrates the generosity and registers the fair-minded
outlooks of all those who look out for the welfare of ALL, regardless
of the labels or the stigmata SOME might be associated with, whether
they are self acquired or assigned by others or gained from accidents
of history.

Or so it might seem.

Why I add the above qualifier is for a very simple reason: Over the
decades I have witnessed, just like all others too who  are either
willing or able, the propensity of some of our peers whose piety and
righteous outrages are usually set aside ONLY for those with whom
they have empathy for, be it for social, be it for political, be it
for linguistic, be it for religious or be it even for moral grounds.

But we also know it is not unique to our peers. It happens to be an
universal response.

So why do I even bother to raise the issue? What makes it special?

For two reasons.

	A: The mantle of superior morality worn by our learned peers
who are outraged by
	the despicable human-rights organizations who take up causes
ONLY of people with the
	stigma I described above and not ALL, regardless of their
sins, real or perceived, as they
	 - the fair minded citizenry - would  undoubtedly do.

	B:  The intellectual acumen of the outraged who speculated in
the ASOM mailing list as
	to WHY these fasting wives had to go marry them ULFA cadres
about whose fate the
	Indian government remains  silent, in spite of ONE its own
High Court's orders to reveal
	it to these wives.

If we take a moment to take a deeper look at the above two points it
will be eminently clear that:

In A above, the mantle of superior morality derived from an universal
goodwill for the welfare of ALL is, at best, a mythical one. It is a
conveniently donned cloak. For they WERE / ARE NOWHERE to be found
when THOSE WHOSE acts of commission and omission gave rise to the
insurgency in Assam and ULFA amongst one of the sub-continent's most
docile and passive ethnic community, the Oxomiyas.

In B above we see an abject  ignorance of one of civilized societies'
most fundamental tenets: They do not hold the spouses or the children
of individuals charged or adjudged  guilty of a crime similarly
guilty, just like they do not hold an entire race or religion or
country guilty of the transgressions  or crimes of a few; like they
do for example in India. Remember the Sikh pogrom after Indira
Gandhi's killing? Remember the  Godhra aftermath?

Finally, those  whose outrages are NOT convenient or politically
expedient , ought to ask FIRST:  Why do HR activists needed at all?
Is it NOT because of a FAILURE of those who are entrusted with
protecting the rights of the ALL of the citizenry and for upholding
the rule of law to begin with? If the
'legitimate' govts. did their job, WOULD these despicable, BIASED and
SELF-SERVING HUMAN RIGHTS  organization be even needed?

I do not have privileges to post in the ASOM list, even though, by
some quirk of the internet's  reach, I do get to see its posts,
sometimes. So I request Wahid Kokaideu to forward  this response, if
he would, to that list as well.

cm