[Assam] Fwd: [asom] Re: Press Release on 'Fast unto Death'

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Tue May 8 08:43:12 PDT 2007

Ram:

>That is very interesting and I wonder why.

*** I can't give you that answer, since I don't speak for assamwatch.
Perhaps you will ask them.

>Just wondering if any Assamese families were ever affected because
>the ulfa allegedly killed their >husbands, children etc.

*** What do you think ? Were they? And if they were / are, WHO ought
to be looking out for their welfare? Should it be 'legitimate'
authorities or 'biased' HR orgs.?

Oh, I see! But ULFA should NOT have done anything that might have
harmed some to begin with, right?
I agree. Ram.  Unfortunately such conflicts do not arise out of
nothing?  What has CHANGED about the CAUSES that gave rise to ULFA?
Have you asked that question?  Are you able to face the answer to
such questions?

>  >But that couldn't be true, nobody really has any good proof that
>it was the ulfa who could have done >such things. A good guess would
>be those people killed themselves for some unknown reason.
>
>Hence, in such a situation, it is impossible for any "rights group"
>or for that matter, futile, for anybody, >with any ounce of
>righteousness to stand up for them.

>  >This, of course, does NOT hold true of the supporters and advocates of ulfa.

*** The conundrum you manufacture here is a false one Ram. It is NOT
a conundrum at all.  It is merely an attempt to hide behind circular
logic, when confronted by the superficiality of the outrage expressed
in the original propositions.

But that does not eliminate the problem: The insurgency and its toll
on EVERYBODY. What is therefore the answer? I would submit it is a
POLITICAL settlement that would end the conflict .

If we contribute something to bring that about we would be a part of
the solution. And that would not come from waving those banners of
self-righteousness dyed with conveniently affected outrage and
demonizing HR orgs. Raising our voices to achieve a just and
honorable political solution the conflict will.

c-da