[Assam] Fwd: [asom] Re: Press Release on 'Fast unto Death'

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:57:27 PDT 2007

C'da

 >*** I can't give you that answer, since I don't speak for assamwatch.
Perhaps you will ask them.

perhaps.

 >*** What do you think ? Were they? And if they were / are, WHO ought to be
looking out for their >welfare? Should it be 'legitimate' authorities or
'biased' HR orgs.?

We are assuming that the GOI is NOT doing its job of cleaning up its own
mess, the mess left by ulfa, and the mess left by anyone one else.

Then come these various HR orgs. Is it "their" duty to bring up these
matters of selective outrage.
No, certainly not. They can be as SELECTIVE as they wish - and they don't
have to give me or anyone else any reason. including the GOI.
Well, this type of selective  outrage doesn't seem to fly vey well with the
GOI. After all, the "appeals" in all righteousness are in the end made to
the GOI.

There is another angle to all this is, I don't know what "DUTIES" the GOI
owes specially to those who have denounced their Indian citizenship, and
those who have expressed in no uncertain terms that they will harm India,
its assets and anything in between, whenever they can.

 That perhaps is ONE single reason why the GOI is so hesitant to release
those ulfa cadres it has caught. GOI releases, they skip town, to kill
another day. Now, we all know how 'dumb' the GOI is, but lests not take that
too far.

Perhaps, the only duty the GOI may have for such people is HR. In today's
papers, I read the army has apologized for mistreating villages (while
pursuing ulfa - I think in Arunachal).

My point is for someone to ask for 'fairplay' in HR matters, there must be
some kind of HISTORICAL record of HR orgs that they are touting for, that
tells the world - LOOK, we play fair, and we are what we say we are - an HR
org.

 >*** The conundrum you manufacture here is a false one Ram. It is NOT a
conundrum at all.  It is merely >an attempt to hide behind circular logic,
when confronted by the superficiality of the outrage expressed >in the
original propositions.

Possibly - but wasn't it you who had brought up the plight of the ulfa wives
on hunger strike and appealing to netters. As I recall, there were not any
takers on this net (including me). Now, why was that?
Because, C'da, the very next week, I think, you gave a wide-berth to the
plight of the families who are demanding answers from the ULFA (organized by
the Assam Public Works or something).

My guess is netters were not hold their breath here.

So, actually, this is the problem - there are these common folks (the ulfa
wives, and those who kin were killed by the ulfa). Their plights are almost
similar.
And yet, battle lines are drawn - one group supported by the PCG, the PCPIA
and others, while the other unfortunate group is supported by the APW.
Even in your appeal, one of the demands along these lines "release of the 5
detained by the GOI and talks with the ULFA". Now, who put that in? While
they may have been great points to bring up elsewhere, the poor ulfa wives
got a raw deal there - their cause, IMHO, was dragged into unnecessary
political gamesmanship, in which those ladies had no immediate stake.

I really wonder, and really do, if there is such an organization in Assam or
elsewhere who is just interested in uplifting in some small way the lives of
so many affected by this continuous cycle of violence in Assam - without
regard to who is winning and who is losing in the political chessgame
between the ulfa and the GOI and keeping all pretenses aside?