[Assam] Manmohan SINGHO, can’t you go one step further and say, ‘ Once I leave the top chair as the servant of the Indian constitution, I shall work for Assam Sovereignty restoration and that is a PROMISE.’ ?

Bartta Bistar barttabistar at googlemail.com
Wed May 9 03:52:13 PDT 2007

 PM pledges lifelong support to Assam
http://in.news.yahoo.com/070509/43/6fj80.html

<http://www.eians.com/>

 By IANS

*Wednesday May 9, 01:23 PM*

Guwahati, May 9 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who filed nomination
papers seeking re-election for a fourth straight term to the Rajya Sabha,
Wednesday pledged his lifelong support to work for Assam's overall
development.

'I am committed to work for the sustained and balanced development and a
secure Assam. I have tried my best in the past and I would continue to do so
in the future,' the prime minister told reporters here soon after filing his
nomination papers at the Assam assembly premises here.

'I am indeed grateful to the people of Assam and all the legislators for
giving me yet another opportunity to seek re-election to the Rajya Sabha,'
he said.

Manmohan Singh submitted four sets of nomination papers, endorsed by 40
legislators from the Congress party and its ally, the Bodo People's
Progressive Front (BPPF).

Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil and Congress leaders Motilal Vora and
Digvijay Singh were present during the filing of nominations. Elections are
scheduled for May 24.

The prime minister is one of the two MPs from Assam whose term ends June 14.
The second Rajya Sabha MP from Assam is Indramoni Bora from the Bharatiya
Janata Party (BJP).

Manmohan Singh has served three terms as a member of the Rajya Sabha from
Assam since 1991 when he was named finance minister by then prime minister
P.V. Narasimha Rao. He served a second term in 1995 and was re-elected again
in 2001.

After filing his papers, the prime minister addressed a meeting of the Assam
Congress Legislature Party.

'I will devote and dedicate myself to Assam's welfare and development for
the rest of my life,' he said in an emotional speech.

He also visited his rented accommodation in Guwahati, a house in the city
owned by late Assam chief minister Hiteswar Saikia, which is his residential
address.

The prime minister pays a monthly rent of Rs.733 to Saikia's family and has
been a tenant here since 1991.

Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said: 'This is indeed a very proud moment for all
of us, with the prime minister once again choosing Assam to contest the
biennial elections to the Rajya Sabha. The elections are a mere formality as
we have the numbers to make him win.

'The Congress party has no plans to put up a candidate for the second seat.
We want the prime minister to have an easy win as this is a matter of pride
for Assam to have him as our MP,' Gogoi told IANS.

There is no consensus yet among the opposition in Assam for the second
candidate.

There are talks that the BJP, the regional Asom Gana Parishad and the Asom
United Democratic Front (AUDF) have struck a deal although there are
ideological differences - the AUDF is a pro-Muslim party.

The last date for filing of nominations is May 14.

The Congress has 53 seats in the 126-member state legislature. Besides,
there are six associate members, 12 legislators of the Bodo People's
Progressive Front and one from the Nationalist Congress Party (both
supporting the Congress-led government in Assam).

The prime minister invariably refers to Assam as his 'adopted home state'
during his many visits here.