[Assam] 16 lakh illegal Bangladeshi migrants in India

Pradip Kumar Datta pradip200 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 21:53:02 PDT 2007

Pranab: 16 lakh B’deshis in  India

NEW DELHI, May 9: The number of illegal Bangladeshi  migrants in India is estimated to be around 15-16 lakh, Lok Sabha was informed  today. “Illegal infiltration is taking place. We have taken up the matter with  the Bangladesh Government besides initiating measures including strengthening of  the Border Security Force and construction of border fencing to curb illegal  influx into the country,” External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said during  Question Hour.
On reported anti-Indian activities in Bangladesh, Mukherjee  said some insurgent groups were indulging in such activities and New Delhi had  taken up the issue with Dhaka at the highest level.
“Assurances have been  given that Bangladesh territory will not be allowed to be used for activities  inimical to India. We have emphasized them that there is need for concrete and  sustained action towards fulfilling this assurance,” he said.
On the number  of illegal migrants, some BJP members claimed it could be as high as five crore.
The Minister said: “These are just estimates, and no one can give an  accurate picture. Even this number of 15-16 lakh is being denied by Bangladesh”.  PTI  Sentinel Assam