[Assam] Fwd: [asom] Re: Press Release on 'Fast unto Death'

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Thu May 10 07:11:12 PDT 2007

Ram:

Here is a delayed response to your litany of complaints:

>They can be as SELECTIVE as they wish - and they don't have to give
>me or >anyone else any reason.

*** That is not how I read the posts in 'asom' or your support
therefor. Did I read them incorrectly? The righteously outraged in
'asom' and assamnet demanding explanations from 'assamwatch' for
their purported siding only with ULFA and ULFA sympathizers and not
for  purported ULFA  victims was the issue that started this string
of posts, didn't it?

>Well, this type of selective  outrage doesn't seem to fly vey well
>with the >GOI.

*** That is a revelation . I wonder why.
If I might, I would also add the righteous and the unbiased of
'assamnet' and 'asom' to the list too. Wouldn't you :-)?

>There is another angle to all this is, I don't know what "DUTIES"
>the GOI owes >specially to those who have denounced their Indian
>citizenship, and those who >have expressed in no uncertain terms
>that they will harm India, its assets and >anything in between,
>whenever they can.

*** You are right on that count. But GoI, its apologists and Indians
also claim a superior civilizational heritage, which, one might
venture to guess, would transcend geographical boundaries or
nationality labels. Like those 'civilized' nations that subscribe to
the Geneva Convention and treat prisoners of war with certain dignity
and humanity, even though they are enemies. After all 'enemies' too
put their lives in the line of fire with a CAUSE that THEY hold dear.
I know
the GOOD FOLKS are the ones that are RIGHT in these conflicts; like
the USA or India while those who do not agree are WRONG.

Still is it unreasonable to expect an account of what India did to
the ULFA husbands of these women? That is the issue here.

And should the righteous of 'asom' or 'assamnet' oppose giving out
such information or support GoI's withholding it, because
'assamwatch' or other such despicable and biased HR orgs did not take
up the cause of the victims of ULFA actions ?

I will be very interested in hearing that as I am sure others who
sport that mantle of holiness like you all do. It will make very
interesting reading :-).

If you get a chance, watch  the Colbert Report in Comedy Central. He
explores and exposes these truths in vivid color :-).

>  >Perhaps, the only duty the GOI may have for such people is HR. In
>today's papers, I read the army has apologized for mistreating
>villages (while pursuing ulfa - I think in Arunachal).

*** I am so relieved to hear that :-). BTW there are more apologies
and 'mistakes were made' mea-culpas in today's paper too, that would
make your Indianness proud.  And if I were a betting man, there will
continue to be many more of those. What is a better way to wash one's
dirty hands off after rubbing some unfortunate's life out than to say
'OOOPS! That was a mistake. We are so sorry!'

c-da