[Assam] Media bias?

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Thu May 10 07:42:39 PDT 2007

Dear Sandeep,

To a great extent the media has always thrived on sensationalism. At least,
this is often the case in the US - as you hinted, bad news is good news for
the media.

I brought up the case of Assam/NE - because on the one hand
there is bad news: extortions, Assam bandhs,insurgents, kidnappings,
killings, corruption and on the other, we have the media also reporting
these.

So, is the media at fault here? or is the media showing Assam/NE in 'bad
light' just for the heck of it (among the national media).

This constant negative reporting by the media, in general, has had a
profound affect on investments, tourism, and a lousy impression of people in
general of the NE.

Recently, I had to go the extra length of explaining to an
American Professor here in Texas, that it was 'safe' to visit Guwahati. He
was worried (to say the least) about the problems there. After he came back,
he was all praises - and only complained about the fine dust (of
construction before the Natl. games).  There was at least one other person,
who declined very subtly, and in passing did mention the 'poilitical
problems' in NE, India.

Having said this, I think, there is a problem, but it can be MANAGED.

There could be a sustained effort, if this problem of perception is
recognized, and turn things around in the media, at least (Umesh did mention
it).

While doom & gloom will always be there, it might do us well, if *there was
a group just to bring out the best in Assam/NE* and project this to the
media.
This group could write articles/forward to national newspapers &
magazines on certain topics ( as an example) -
Muga & Stillwell (Dr. DeGregori wrote this for the AT)
On Assamese weddings, on Bihu (was glad to see Manoj Das & Fmly in a Natl.
paper).
On tourism in the NE
On river rafting, tea gardens, bamboo cultivation, Assamese food
preparations (in cooking shows),  etc, etc.
Successes/efforts of Assamese NGOs (Parijat Academy, Pranjalaya, Smt.Suchibrata
Roychoudhury on her various efforts),
and of course, Assam Institute of Management and what they have been doing

Assamese representatives/student bodies in places like B'lore & Delhi could
request & urge local TV stations and other media to carry such specials on
Assam/NE

And I think, group efforts like this take place, a few years from now,
people might look at the NE with a different outlook.

Take care,
Ram da