[Assam] Fwd: [asom] Re: Press Release on 'Fast unto Death'

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Thu May 10 13:21:04 PDT 2007

At 1:11 PM -0600 5/10/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
>C'da,
>
>  >*** I know Ram, I do. ALL they want from them despicable HR Orgs.
>  >is 'fairness and balance' like their government, their press,
>their TV stations, and their very own selves!
>
>So, are you now saying that these HR Orgs. should NOT be fair &
>balanced? That is they should be biased?
>Wonder why they even label themselves 'Human Rights Organization'?
>Could it be that they want to 'project' a different worldview?
>You know, like many of those 'for profit', Non-Profit Organizations? :)

*** No Ram. What I was saying was that it is laughable for the
outraged to challenge assamwatch or MASS or what have you for THEIR
perceived biases, while the accusers themselves have no legs to stand
on. For they themselves are not only biased but also are totally
oblivious and/or ignorant of the reasons why ULFA happened and why it
continues to exist, and thus helping perpetuate those conditions.

>Wonder why they even label themselves 'Human Rights Organization'?
>Could it be >that they want to 'project' a different worldview?

***WHAT would you label them Ram? You are free to do as Dilip just
did. Since your or Dilip's sense of what is obviously different from
many others' you are free to use whatever terminology is convenient
or makes you feel good . It is not about language or verbiage. It is
about human rights. I realize there are those who would ROB these
folks of their humanity thru the use of language -- it is a very old
trick.  But it would not change anything about their mission, if that
is what you would like to see.

>My contention is this: Given the situation, the only thing that the
>ulfa & its >sympathizers can claim are some HR benevolence from the
>GOI.

*** And IF GoI represents the kind of civilization its apologists
like to wave around to the world, then one might expect that it would
behave in a commensurate manner. That is the hope they bank on. Shame
does work. Particularly when it is in front of those whose approval
India grovels for, namely the West. That is exactly why the effort to
publicize the TRUTHS about India's HR record, which is well- known
over the informed world as dismal.

>  >You are right. Misguided and cruel as they are, the Chechens and
>maybe even the alquida seem to hold on to archaic religious
>principles. Can the same be said of the the ulfa (any principles?)

*** You did not understand what I was saying: That Chechnyas'
struggles or Kshmir's or ULFA's are very different from what AlQaeda
stands for. The former are nationalist movements, struggles for
independence. Those who attempt to equate them with AlQaeda
activities do so to try to milk the US efforts against AlQaeda, like
only desi-parasites might :-).

>  >No, I don't. The GOI should release all the info it has about the
>missing cadres - that is the RIGHT thing to do.
>But, I have said this before, I seriously doubt, if the GOI actually
>has such >info - given their clumsiness and no-clue in handling such
>matters.

*** I am surprised by this Ram. YOU of all people, ought to know that
GoI has been hiding behind the excuse that it won't speak about the
matter because it is sub-judice. The Guwahati High court has already
ordered the govt. to divulge the info., but like only in
desi-demokrasy it can happen, GoI continues to refuse to obey the HC
order.

>  >The best thing to do (for those who are really interested in
>helping these ulfa wives) is NOT to bring in
>unrelated demands like bring ulfa to the table for tals, or release
>so & so >from jail etc.

*** That is an entirely different issue. Neither Assamwatch nor MASS
have attempted to mix the two. At least I don't recall seeing any
such thing. It is of your making. And of those who were railing
against assamwatch's efforts to shame India in front of the civilized
world by publicizing GoIs despicable stonewalling on the matter. It
was the making of those who were questioning why these women should
be given that info. or questioning their judgement and/or motives in
marrying ULFA cadres in the most infantile manner one can imagine. I
have seen some pretty despicable things from our fellow men. But
speculating on these women's motives as to WHY they married the men
they did was about one of the lowest I have seen thus far.

>  >But if we read the stories, it seems like different groups got
>into the fray to make advance own political mileage.

*** But their sins are NOT equal. One is attempting to get the info.
by shaming India. The other is attempting to devalue the women's
plight by making assamwatch look BIASED. One is promoting HR and the
other is indulging in trampling on it.