[Assam] Media bias?

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:07:41 PDT 2007

Umesh,

I did NOT say it was anybody's fault (including the media). The media exists
to sell news - that they think is news worthy, and bad news and
sensationalism sells well.

>In Assam has it stopped --has ULFA stopped, has illegal >immigration
stopped from Bangladesh? NO!!

While insurgency is a problem, everything else cannot stop and my comments
were suggestions to overcome hurdles and turn things around - as far as
tourism, trade/investments etc.

Even in places like Iraq and Afganisthan, they have been able to attract
investment. Movie theatres in Kabul - opened by Indians. So, what does that
tell us?

One lesson is that if there is money to be made, investors will weigh the
risks associated. If it is possible that they still can do business, they
will do so. And both Iraq & Afganisthan are extreme examples and when
compared to Assam, Assam is an advanced, thriving economy.

My point is, we can use that same media in also help in portraying Assam in
a very positive light, and I think the media will go for it - specially if
the effort is unified and professional.

--Ram da