[Assam] Ulfa Wives

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:00:44 PDT 2007

C'da,

That the wives were being "used" by certain quarters was abundantly clear.

The question in my mind was 'Did they really want some resolution for these
unfortunate women or were they played like pawns?'

I think they were. I understand, C'da, that when you fwded it, you probably
did not look at it closely ( I could easily do things like that:))

But look at it -

*(a)     the custodial disappearances of their husbands and others following
the infamous 'Operation All-Clear' in December 2003 be addressed by the
highest authorities of the land;*
**

 Was it "infamous" from India's or Bhutan's view point?

*(b)      peaceful resolution to the Indo-Assam conflict; and*

*If  someone has signed on - it would automatically mean that they consider
Assam as a different country from India for starters.*

*(c)     the unconditional release of the ULFA leaders in jail, which
remains a key to ensuring a just resolution to the impasse in the
possibility of talks between the government of India and the armed
opposition group. *

And how does this help these women in any way? If there was unconditional
release and there was no news still of their husbands? would that help?

 And that is why people in the Net gave it a wide berth. In fact, there were
very few signatures even otherwise. Which tells me, that the crafty crafters
of the petition were really not bothered about the plight of these ladies or
the other. They just used this as a 'platform' to get their views out.

 In fact, if you had followed up their plight, the newspapers also reported
that the women gave up their hunger strike upon the urging of the CM, and
THEN these women made statements that in effect  took umbrage with the
PCPIA, PCG (I think they were the groups that took up "their" cause) and the
Govt. for playing with their emotions and naviety. When they were on hunger
strike, everybody and his uncle were there - I am guessing get some mileage
out of it.

That unfortunately is their story.

To answer your question, you are right, these women would NOT have been able
to articulate their demands and write. Is that WHY, their sad situation was
taken advantage of? Is there no one in Assam who could that simple thing for
them?

>*** Secondly, getting the information on the missing husbands >DOES NOT
solve the problem for their families. Or does it?

Huh! I must have been sleeping - Wasn't that the excercise 'get info'
regarding their husbands. The other steps would come later - once they know
what happened.

Curious - why haven't they asked the Bhutanese Govt. too. The Bhutanese
said, 'they handed the cadres to India" and they are off the hook?