[Assam] ndia now must allow International bodies and Rights organisations to look for the Mass G

mc mahant mikemahant at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 23:02:21 PDT 2007

"unfortunate": Army
The only army  worldwide with Fortune, fate,luck,Arjun,Mahabharatall thrown in- to get a free ride for many generations -Hopefully-if India survives at all.
mm

Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 04:35:06 +0100From: jaipurschool at yahoo.comTo: barttabistar at googlemail.com; assam at assamnet.orgSubject: Re: [Assam] ndia now must allow International bodies and Rights organisations to look for the Mass Graves of Assamese murdered during the Nineties. The suspect sites are around the Indian Army camps in Assam.When army is already owning upto to the errors committed by its employees - then where is the problem? Isn't US doing the same thing - taking its errant soldiers to task. Thats justice, thats human rights. Army is not made of rose-carrying damsels - the gun sometimes is fired in anger - and the shooter should be brouht to justice - in that case.. Army seems to be doing that UmeshBartta Bistar <barttabistar at googlemail.com> wrote:

Army admits to staged encounter in Assam
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=e5c9bd34-3b8d-4d0b-925a-e3b76699db97&MatchID1=4461&TeamID1=10&TeamID2=6&MatchType1=2&SeriesID1=1108&PrimaryID=4461&Headline=Army+admits+to+staged+encounter+in+Assam

Syed Zarir Hussain, IANS
Guwahati, May 10, 2007
First Published: 11:44 IST(10/5/2007)
Last Updated: 11:52 IST(10/5/2007)

Admitting that the killing of a youth in Assam last week "was unfortunate", Indian Army officials in Guwahati said on Thursday they have ordered a probe to punish guilty officials involved in the fake encounter.
"The killing of Budheswar Moran was unfortunate," Major General NC Marwah, general-officer-commanding (GOC) of the second Mountain Division, told reporters.
"I assure you that the inquiry would be impartial and those found guilty will be punished," he added.
The killing of 24-year-old Moran in an alleged encounter with soldiers of the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles over the weekend in eastern Assam's Tinsukia district has led to protests with hundreds of people blocking highways since Monday near Doomdooma, 515 km east of Guwahati.
The army had claimed Moran was a "hardcore militant" of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA). But locals and family members say that Moran was innocent and that he had no links with any rebel group.
The army on Wednesday announced a court of inquiry. The Assam government also ordered an independent probe to investigate the death following the widespread protests.
"The very fact that the GOC admitted to the fake killing vindicates our stand that such state-sponsored terrorism is rampant in Assam in the name of countering militancy," said Lachit Bordoloi, who heads the Manab Adhikar Sangram Samity (MASS), a leading rights group in Assam.
Moran's family members have refused to accept his body, which is still lying at a morgue in Tinsukia.
The Indian army, which is engaged in anti-insurgency operations in Assam, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh, is under fire over frequent allegations of rights violations, torture of innocent civilians and fake encounters while conducting raids.
Earlier this week the army tendered an apology to the Arunachal Pradesh government after over alleged atrocities committed on locals by the army while conducting raids on ULFA bases. Arunachal Rural Development Minister Chowna Mein said villagers were tortured by the army in Lohit district after an explosion triggered by the ULFA killed two soldiers a fortnight ago.
In July last year, the army punished Major Nishant Sharma and Rifleman Sudip Gurung after finding the duo guilty of killing a villager in custody. The military court ruling came after the state government lodged a protest with the army saying the villager, Ajit Mahanta, was shot dead after being picked up by the army on suspicion of having links with the ULFA.
Army authorities were forced to apologise and order a court of inquiry in December after Nipul Saikia, a farmer, was picked up by soldiers and seriously injured while in custody.

Moran's killing unfortunate: Army
http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=may1007/at08 Government orders three probes in Arunachal Pradesh
Rajesh Sinha
Thursday, May 10, 2007  09:06 IST

Email Article

Print Article

Most Emailed Articles

Most Viewed Articles

Share this article

RSS Feed

 Digg it
Add to del.icio.us
Google bookmarks
Yahoo! bookmarks
Add to Newsvine
Add to Reddit

To reprint this article, contact 3DSyndication

NEW DELHI: Despite its initial reluctance to publicly accept the Chinese incursion in Arunachal Paradesh, the Centre on Wednesday is learnt to have asked the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), the Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) and the Arunachal government to present confidential reports on the status in the 'disputed territory'.
The reports are believed to have been submitted on Wednesday evening. DNA's report on Monday about the incursion raised a furore and the government came under heavy criticism from the Opposition. Officially, the government has not admitted any intrusion, but it has not denied it clearly either.
Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju said there was no incursion and explained that the area in question is "disputed territory".
The state police had sent a report on the matter in 2005 after the Centre asked for it.  The government's response evoked criticism not only from the Opposition but also from two former foreign ministers. Former defence minister KC Pant was baffled that the government had not come out with a strong denial. Former external affairs minister Yashwant Sinha said "this was hardly the way to respond.
There was no statement from the government in Parliament and no response from the external affairs ministry, which should have followed when MPs raised the issue."
The responses came from the 4 Corps commander, a field army officer, Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutt, and Minister of State for Defence Raju. Neither Dutt nor Raju denied Chinese presence in the area in question. However, Sinha went on to add, "the army officials admit the Chinese presence in hushed conversations, but for obvious reasons they will not accept it formally."
While Dutt's contention that it was a part of an understanding with the Chinese to share some areas, the same was rejected by security experts and Sinha. Raju's statement was seen as a watering down of India's stand so far as the area in its control was concerned.
An analyst and former Indian Foreign Service officer Bhadra Kumar, however, agreed with the term used by Raju. He said, "the two countries are having talks to resolve a border dispute and the statement merely reflects this fact."
He said a formal statement from the government on the matter would be a serious matter and taken as stating its position. "It would have political and diplomatic implications. Hence there is nothing wrong in the government letting the response come from field officers or other officials," he said.

 Post your comment
.
 _______________________________________________assam mailing listassam at assamnet.orghttp://assamnet.org/mailman/listinfo/assam_assamnet.orgUmesh SharmaWashington D.C. 1-202-215-4328 [Cell]Ed.M. - International Education PolicyHarvard Graduate School of Education,Harvard University,Class of 2005http://www.uknow.gse.harvard.edu/index.htmlhttp://hbswk.hbs.edu/http://jaipurschool.bihu.in/