[Assam] End this disease called ULFA

Jyotirmoy Sharma jsharma at iinet.net.au
Tue May 15 04:14:19 PDT 2007

I believe that Ram has explained the points very aptly.  Just adding
a few comments.

> >*** Is this for a fact or a demonstration  of  profound ignorance
> of modern history?
> >Would you like to explain?

I do not hear the Nagas, Manipuris blowing up their own population in
the name of freedom struggle. They may have had conflicts within
their groups and may have fought and killed rival group members but
never have they targeted the general population.
Would you still believe in their cause and their means had you lost a
family member in one of their indiscriminate blasts?

> > I suspect you and JS intended SOME of the ULFA leaders, didn't
> you? Assuming that  was what  it was, let me ask you this: If it
> were you, Ram >or JS, in the position of those ULFA leaders, what
> would you do? Play STUPID and get arrested or get erased in some
> encounter, real or fake? Is >this some kind of a question to make
> the ULFA leaders look  like 'cowards'? If it is, do you think it is
> working?
Even in India's fight for independence we have had true
revolutionaries who  may have gone out of the country to seek  help
to fight the enemy( British ) but they have come back to the country
to fight for the cause they believed in. In ULFA's case the leaders
have simply vanished from the battle zone and surrendered themselves
to become pawns of Bangladeshi agents.

> >- They seek whereabouts of missing ULFA members, what about all the
> >people they have killed. Are they going to give the reasons ?
>
> *** Another abjectly dumb question again. These are people fighting
> and dying for a cause.
Mr Mahanta, try telling that to someone who has lost a loved one by
ULFA's guns or their blasts.
It is not hard to realize that there is no "cause" they are fighting
for. The ULFA leaders are prominent Bangladeshi citizens now and
living up their life with extortion money while their lower rungs are
dodging bullets, army and the people in general.

Mr Mahanta, you would do well to realize the ground facts. The Bodos,
Karbis, Dimasas, Bengalis( from the Barak valley) do not support the
ULFA nor have they given them the onus to act/speak on their behalf.
A few Assamese may still feel for the terrorists but they are a dying
breed. I would have thought there is more support for the outfit
among the Assamese citizens in the US, the lack of response to my
questions seem to suggest otherwise.

J.Sharma