[Assam] End this disease called ULFA

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Tue May 15 07:21:50 PDT 2007

Ram:

>First of, the ulfa cannot really be considered "revolionaries". A
>revolution (Like the French etc) are a >mass-scale uprising of some
>sort against an establishment. The ulfa (as some would like to
>elevate) is >nowhere close to that lable

*** It was not *I* who assigned that label and then attempted to
demolish it. You can or JS can or any old fool can arbitrarily assign
a label to anyone, then demolish it, couldn't they? But what VALUE
would that have?

Imagine me assigning a label on you as, say, an Indian patriot, and
then go on to tell the world that you are not an Indian to begin
with, that you are an American. That you claim you are are an
Assamese, but  by parental ethnicity you are really a Tamil.

But what value would such an argument have ? Would I be wrong in
surmising that it would be zero, zit, nada?

You catch my drift?

>  >And yes, C'da why is these "home-grown" revoltionaries hell bent
>on killing and looting from Assamese people (and don't forget
>Dhemaji) - now there was a great example of your revolutionaries
>giving up blood & treasure (of course, it matters little that blood
>spilled was not theirs).

*** What you see as looting, could be presented by ULFA as TAXING,
tax that the payer does not pay to what is fancied to be the
'legitimate' government.  What the two-book-keeping entities do not
pay to GoI, goes to ULFA, who employs those left unemployed by
India's rob-the-poor-masses-to-enrich-the-few-economy, keeps the
economy running by buying what it needs to feed the soldiers.   I
hope you read the World Bank report on black-money's corrosive effect
on the Indian economy.  Further more  on the looting front, how do
you see the Indian elected reps' role, in looting the treasury?

They are WORSE offenders, because they steal wearing that robe of
respectability as the people's reps., on the sly. But I see no
outrage in that from the 'fair and balanced crowd',or demands to send
them to prison, or to send their sympathizers to prison. In fact I
will not be surprised if the scions of some of these thieves in white
are not right here amongst us urging ULFA sympathizers to be sent to
prison. We surely know that most everybody who holds some important
position in Indian govts. have a sopn or daughter or a close relative
in some western countries as immigrant, 'green-card holder' or
citizens or H1Bs. So much for their faith in their nation.

Yes, Dhemaji is a stigma to ULFA. They should not have done that, IF
it WAS indeed ULFA who did that deliberately. But parties to warfare
do terrible things, sometimes willfully, at other times
inadvertently. IF I remember correctly you took great pride in the
Indian military's repeated OOpses  on its civilian killings in fake
encounters, as if those were slips, that never happened before, or
never will in the future.

Do you see a difference between GoI and ULFA?  And if GOI can do no
better than ULFA, where does its apologists get that  halo of
'holier-than-thou',  to sport?

In fact GOI  and its stooges, Assam govts. past or present have
actively contributed to such mindless violence. Had Assam Govt.
leaders NOT attempted to prove that uLFA had no teeth by putting
these children of Dhemaji in harms way, in spite of warnings by ULFA
not to hold those parades, this tragedy could not have happened. Not
to justify it however. But I don't recall hearing from the 'fair and
balanced crowd'  a word on WHO was EXPLOITING these children.

Then there is this other  thing that the thoughtful should not avoid
considering: When the Indian army operations lead to separating the
leadership from the operating elements, it creates an environment of
private entrepreneurship by inexperienced and poorly educated
rank-and-file manning the battlefronts. How do you know that it was
sanctioned by ULFA leadership, and not impromptu action by someone at
location? That is war for you.

>We have all been hearing about this big cause for a long time. Then
>why is that the whole of Assam >have  NOT joined  and or signed on
>the dotted line? Do you know why?

*** Of course I do. In fact anyone able to reason ought to: That is
because the establishment is not going to give up its rights to the
feeding trough. And GoI has been pumping unaccounted for billions to
keep that sector on its side. Never mind the rest.  I remember
Chittaranjan's assurance that a reasoned public dialogue on the need
for Assam's sovereignty is not impossible in Assam media. But he
could not get my posts aired in Assam, could he? I also tried, but
could not.  The fear of reprisals from the govt. is present and
powerful.

>  >>That is how it works in a violent CONFLICT. That is WHY it is a
>violent CONFLICT.
>
>Whew! Now that somehow makes us all feel better. Of course, all the
>people of Assam gave the green signal for ULFA to go violent and now
>it (the ulfa) acts as the sole torch bearer for God & country.

*** That was NOT meant to make you feel better Ram. It was to point
out what you could not see, even though you it is staring at your
face.

>One question, if these 'revs' are NOT even able to fight from their
>home base (that they are forced to go >to another country to do so),
>what odds do you, as a pragmatist, give them for any kind of win?

*** I am not a military strategist, unlike say JS, who obviously
knows better than the Indian military brass
past and present, who have said over and over again that it is not a
battle they can win and that only a political solution will end the
conflict. Perhaps JS will explain how ULFA can be defeated
militarily.  Or how their sympathizers should be rounded up and
thrown in prison. Maybe that Congress MP who recommended that for
those who calls for a referendum, like MR Goswami, could explain that
--or the need for his vehement back-tracking after that. Do you think
the ULFA sympathizers were terrified of that threat in Assam ?

>One question, if these 'revs' are NOT even able to fight from their
>home base (that they are forced to go >to another country to do so),
>what odds do you, as a pragmatist, give them for any kind of win?

*** I understand your  quandary as I do of those others in your camp.
All you are reduced to doing is taunting ULFA or ULFA sympathizers,
or mouthing  off bravado-laden but meaningless slogans.   One would
think something is  missing here. Question is WHAT?  I know the
answer, but I will let you figure that out by yourself . I like to
think you are eminently capable of. And when you do, maybe you will
be kind enough to share that with those in your camp who are not that
well equipped :-).

Take care.

c-da