[Assam] What would Lachit do?

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Tue May 15 14:10:50 PDT 2007

I am not into mind reading Ram. Less so of people long gone. Besides,
*I* am no fan of Lasit's act , make that whack; that made him a
kharkhowa hero. It has something to do with my abhorrence for
applauding  or holding in high esteem an act of playing accuser,
prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner  by the same person. But if I
were to guess, considering that many Ahoms and other indigenous
people took to Islam, voluntarily, and considering that in those days
the act of beef-eating was not that big a sin, particularly for the
Ahoms,  the Lungi Menace would not have been a menace at all, much
less the scourge it appears to be to some of our latter day  Oxomiyas.

But  Mirjumla's  army  was a wholly different issue. It had nothing
do with Aurangjeb's  religion , their dietary habits or which way
they faced to say their prayers or being cut or intact; but
everything to do with defending against an invader.

:-)