[Assam] Jahnu rekindles Big Bs Assam link

Pradip Kumar Datta pradip200 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 19:29:40 PDT 2007

        Jahnu rekindles Big B’s Assam link
- National award-winning filmmaker to cast Amitabh Bachchan in his next Hindi film     A STAFF REPORTER Telegraph India                      League of extraordinary gentlemen: Barua and Bachchan   1975: The angry young man of Hindi cinema makes his debut in Assamese cinema with a masala action film, Sonti. A distributor’s tiff, however, ensures that the film never sees the light of day.
  2007: Fingers crossed. The Big B magic may just light up the screen for Assamese industry’s very own Jahnu Barua.
  Guwahati, May 15: Thirty-two years after an unreleased film ended Amitabh Bachchan’s tryst with the Assamese film industry, the “Big B” of Assamese cinema — Jahnu Baruah — has cast him in the lead role of his yet-to-be-named Hindi film.
  And the year could not have been more special.
  This is the 25th anniversary of Barua’s career as a filmmaker. The calendar-count, however, does not seem to interest Barua, who would rather concentrate of his “biggest venture” so far.
  “For me, the 25th year will be just another year, But yes, I have lined up a film with the biggest name in Bollywood,” Barua said over phone from Mumbai.
  “I take each day as it comes, he said. “I don’t feel anything special about completing 25 years in film industry.”
  “There is nothing to celebrate. In fact, each day is a battle for survival,” he added.
  The filmmaker, who found his place in the Hindi film industry with the highly-acclaimed Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara, said the film will also star Shiney Ahuja.
  He, however, refused to reveal anything else.
  “I don’t want to talk much about the film now. The script is ready but the shooting dates are yet to be decided,” he said.
  But cinema enthusiasts can hardly wait for the project, which will bring the two B’s together.
  “Both are masters. If Amitabh is the Big B of the Hindi film industry, Barua, too, is the undisputed Big B of the Assamese film industry. It is because of Barua that Assamese cinema received international recognition,” said film critic Utpal Dutta.
  An alumnus of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, Barua made his celluloid debut with Aparoopa in 1982.
  It fetched him the National Film Award in the best regional film category.
  The film was followed by Papori in 1986 and Halodhia Choraiye Baodhan Khai (The Catastrophe) in 1987.
  And with them came the National Award for the Best Film, the Grand Prix Leopard, the World Ecumenical Award at the Locarno International Film Festival and screening in the Best of Asia category at the Tokyo International Film Festival.
  Hkhagoroloi Bohu Door (It’s A Long Way To the Sea) in 1994 fetched him the National Award for best director (Golden Lotus) in 1995, 15 international awards, including the World Peace Prize at the Chicago International Film Festival, award for best director at the International Film Festival of Independent Filmmakers at Brussels and invitations to 42 prestigious film festivals worldwide.
  With Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara in 2005, Barua joined the league of mainstream Bollywood films.
  In search of greener pastures to carry forward his experiments in cinematic art, Barua shifted base to Mumbai a few years back.
  But the master denies that his attachment with Assamese film industry is over.
  “Home will always be home. Currently, I have no plans to make films in Assamese. But in the future, it will definitely happen.”
  “I am a filmmaker and I want to continue with this journey of making films after films. The medium or language of the films doesn’t matter to me. What is important is the quality of work that I do,” Barua signed off.