[Assam] End this disease called ULFA

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Wed May 16 08:11:32 PDT 2007

>DD: What you are forgetting is this - not
>everyone in Assam agrees with ULFA --

*** No I did not forget that. That is why I wrote:

"There are those of us who are not handicapped by
such a mindset, will continue to speak up for
Assam's rights."

And we shall.

>incessant insult of the clueless (in your words)

*** And I stand by the characterization, because
it was unequivocally demonstrated in the posts
concerned.

Perhaps DD will tell us WHY they are NOT
'clueless'? That would PROVE the point.

*** Just because a lot of people say something,
does not make it right. A bunch of fools saying a
bunch of foolish things do not automatically
become cleansed by the NUMBERS.

>If ULFA wants the support of the rational people
>of Assam, let ULFA state >clearly in detail what
>its " modern, truly democratic state with a rule
>of law" >is and How " the right to have full
>control over its resources" will be >utilized to
>make everyone's life better in Assam.

*** Those were MY words. If DD wants ULFA's
that question. *I* ,Chandan Mahanta, do not speak
for ULFA. But I do have reasons to believe that
those are ideals ULFA does harbor.

Now on a side note, if DD seeks such assurances
from ULFA, he might write to them. But an
ordinary observer could surmise that DD's
willingness to give ULFA that support,regardless
of ULFA's plans for Assam, in view of DD's
decades of expressions regarding ULFA, would be
suspect :-). Thus a serious response from ULFA to
his request may or may not be forthcoming is how
*I* would see it. But things do change.  If were
in DD's shoes, and did have a change of heart, I
might try it. Nothing to lose.

*** But considering the responses to my posts on
reforming Assam governance  from those netters
who have been involved in trashing ULFA all these
years, amounting to nothing more than "WE DON't
WANT" such reforms, because Oxomiyas are unable
to deliver or they are no different from what
exists today or impractical due to possible
boundary disputes or other FEEBLE excuses, does
not
make DD's claim here very believable.

But *I* am always open for any chance of progress. So good luck!

*** Finally, I ask DD too: WHY should those of
who have every confidence , not only on
ourselves, but on the people of Assam to be able
to deliver on a reformed system, as good as the
best in the world, advocate ULFA's surrender and
advise Assam to accept and be happy with what has
NOT worked for sixty plus years of Indian
misrule, as even MOST thoughtful Indian
commentators would readily agree ?

cm