[Assam] End this disease called ULFA

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Wed May 16 12:26:20 PDT 2007

At 2:15 PM -0400 5/16/07, Mohan R. Palleti wrote:
>UlFA has become a cankerous growth fuelled by a foreign virus. This growth
>must stop!

*** Let us agree, for argument's sake, that it is so. The question
then will be how to CURE that cancer. How does one STOP it?

>  >They should be given the opportunity to get out of it. Let them
>come home, put down their guns and help in rebuilding Assam. This way they
>will be remembered as heroes.

*** Is this a wish or is it a plan? Surely I have seen innumerable
attempts at WISHING ULFA away. But I don't believe anything has come
out of it so far. So why should anyone give two hoots to what Mohan
wishes, or for that matter what *I* wish?

>  >Mixing up with the ISI will never bring any
>>respect to them. No Assamese worth their salt will ever forgive them for
>this.

*** We all like to think we represent all of us think alike.
Unfortunately that is a delusion. ISI maybe the Devil incarnate to
those Indians who live under the delusion  that Kashmir is their
'poitrik xompotty' ( ancestral property) , never mind what the people
who inhabit the ground want. But those who do not believe that, may
very well not be moved by that connection, unless they too are
harmed by ISI in some way. But most of all, if ISI is all that
powerful and India is that impotent, in spite of its size, in spite
of its wealth, in spite of its vaunted 'demokrasy', in spite of its
how-many-thousand-years-old (?) civilization; then who needs such a
paper tiger?

Large segments of Assam, mercifully, is not that driven by
anti-Islamic paranoia that many otherwise able and intelligent
Indians are.

>There is a good shift in the number of youth who have come out of
>Assam to >take the opportunity of growth.

*** That is nice. But anyone who can do some ordinary arithmetic and
has a rudimentary knowledge of the geography of the region knows that
the percentage of those who are participating in that 'growth', is
minuscule. There are vast numbers of youth in the hinterland unseen
by the geographically challenged urban
'haves' whose world view is defined by their own limited exposures
and knowledge. That is another tragedy.