[Assam] End this disease called ULFA

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:12:05 PDT 2007

My 2 cents here

 >*** Is this a wish or is it a plan? Surely I have seen innumerable
>attempts at WISHING ULFA away. But I don't believe anything has >come out
of it so far. So why should anyone give two hoots to >what Mohan wishes, or
for that matter what *I* wish?

I too think these are wishes, in a way. But these happen to be more
realistic than the wish that the GOI and many Assamese will just  cave
into wishes of the ULFA & its friends' "wishes" for independence.
It is a good possibility that the ulfa will someday drop the soverignity
issue, and come to some kind od face-saving agreemeny with the GOI and they
will like 'winners'
But to wish that the GOI will go against itself by giving away Assam (as if
it belongs to ULFA) and Kashmir (as if that belongs to the ISI)
is really wishing that the big, bad boy (GOI) will just go away.

>unless they too are harmed by ISI in some way. But most of all, if >ISI is
all that powerful and India is that impotent, in spite of its >size, in
spite of its wealth, in spite of its vaunted 'demokrasy', in >spite of its
how-many-thousand-years-old (?) civilization; then who >needs such a paper
tiger?

C'da - you are trying very hard to make people's dislike for ISI and the
illegal B'deshi problem as Hindu-Muslim or lungi-menace as you call it.
There may be some elements in India that may think that way, but most people
dislike/distrust the ISI as purely trouble makers (not because they are
Muslim, but more so because they make up a set of Pakistan that hates India
to the core - and Kashmir is only a small part of it)

The fact that you can give a pass to an orgnization like the ISI because you
think the rest of the Hindus are driven by some Hinduvtta hatred for it is
simply mind-boggling.

If you have the opportunity, you should look up the standing for ISI
unbiased sources like Starfor.com or even Jane's Defence  - they all treat
these the ISI as an extreme Islamic wing wanting to promote an extreme
Islamic World.

Now, about the Potentency issue of India against ISI (or ULFA). You and I
know that just because an organization like the ISI or the Ulfa have some
successes in hit & run, and hide among the masses DOES not make them the
victors or even brave.

The other thing is an orgnization like the ULFA can continue for another 50
to a hundred years easily. Someone will pay them to harm India, one of those
is the ISI. The ISI can pay ULFA to do its dirty job and sit back. They have
been doing this same thing in Kashmir too. And when the Indian Army attacks
(and often kills unarmed civilians), the sympathiers of ULFA and Kashmir are
all up in arms (so to speaK) to denounce the army of attrocities.

Stages of this nature are often set. Take the case of the bombing in Aath
Gaon (Guwahati) yesterday or the day before. Ulfa sets up a series of
explosions, 2-3 people are killed. The Police, caught with its pants down,
claims one of the dead is an ULFA. The public says no - stages
strikes/hunger strike etc - and of course pro-ULFA organizations are up
front and center to flame up any anger toward GOA/Police and away from who
planted the explosions in the first place

Similar scenarion where a Teron was killed (a few days ago) - now that has
turned into an ethinic problem - TE laborers and villagers.
Basically, ULFA kills or bombs somewhere - run and hide in a village. Army
comes in full force, beats anyone and everyone, maybe even kill a few. Tries
to hide facts - gets caught, and all the pro-ulfa people are there, egging
on an unsuspecting village to stage some strike or 'rasta bondho' - a few
more killed - it goes on and on.

Such successes by the ULFA will actually never get the independence it so
desires for Assam.

If the Assamese people really wanted to be separate from India, their heart
and soul has to be in it - they must really, really want it - they would
have got it by now.