[Assam] End this disease called ULFA

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Thu May 17 08:33:47 PDT 2007

Hi Mohan:

>  >If the two hoots can bring some boys back home and bring them to the
>mainstream of life. I do not mind being ridiculed....

*** I wouldn't either.  However, what are the chances ? I would think
offering of a puja at an important
temple will hold a higher potential :-). That is the point I was
trying to drive home; the ineffectiveness or more precisely the
absence of realism in the various posts by netters who could expected
to be far more
result oriented than their proposals indicate. I don't devalue your
good-will. That is all very good. But good-will or good-wishes sans
realism will do little to cure that 'mohamari' that you all have been
railing against.

>  >You have been prolifically writing hate words towards India.

*** I think you are misusing the English language here Mohan. Will
you be able to point out WHICH words in my posts you can consider
"HATE WORDS" against India, or for that matter against anybody else;
people, state, culture or religion?

Yes, I do write a lot of critical things about India. But that is
different from "HATE".  And if you find those criticisms  untrue,
unfair or otherwise unwarranted, then all you need to demolish them,
putting me in my place, is to point them out. Rebut. Refute.  It is
good for you to try that. Because you will need to do your homework
to do so, and in the process will become more informed.

I know you are a well-meaning person. I will never take offense with
such rebuttals or showing netters how or why I am wrong. It will
actually be a PLEASURE to see someone doing that CREDIBLY and
EFFECTIVELY .  Would demonstrate a sincerity of purpose and instill
pride in my fellowmen's abilities.

>I do not have a islamic paranoia. I have both Pakistani and Bangladeshi
>friends. I would any day like a free and  open trade between these
>countries and a open border.

*** Who would not? Even Narendra Modi  would love to do that :-). But
that does not prove or disprove anything.

>Remember, I did not say Pakistani's or Bangladeshi's. I specifically said
>ISI....This is a militant organization with extreme hate towards India.
>Ido not support any form of violence or extremism.

*** I would not badger you on this, only because I know you mean
well. But I also know very well where the ISI-paranoia  amongst desis
spring from. It has everything do with deeply-rooted Hindu /Muslim
bigotries and animus so pervasive in north, central, west and south
India, translated to ownership pretenses of Kashmir, never mind what
the Kashmiris who call it home want, leading to the Pakistan/India
conflicts that gave rise to ISI and Jihad and has escalated into
today's Islamic and Hindu militancy.

Assam and the contiguous states and Bengal , barring the Hindu
Siletis displaced from today's B'desh,
have been relatively free of that debilitating desi condition.  Only
in recent years, thanks to Hindian influences, compounded by the GoI
propaganda  to discredit ULFA, has this ISI paranoia
begun to take root in Assam. It is in the exact same vein as that of
the CIA paranoia during the cold-war. Only now we have begun to learn
how overblown it was.

I don't dispute the fact of ISI's dirty record. So is RAW's. But ISI
cannot be THAT powerful.  ISI today is the code-word for demonizing
everything associated with Islam.  And its cultivated fear is an
essential GLUE to hold the tattered bonds of Indian nationalism
together.

>  >This is what ULFA has done for Assam. The rest of the country has grown in
>>leaps and bounds. But Assam is still miles behind. Its growth fettered by
>this cankerous grwoth called ULFA.

*** That argument is another propaganda designed by Indians and
Indian apologist Oxomiyas.  How will you answer to the question of
Assam's condition BEFORE  ULFA happened?  Why was it so?

Can you tell me, with a straight face that if ULFA disappeared today,
tomorrow Assam's prosperity will take off the ground ? That its
problems will disappear like a bad dream?  Think about that Mohan.

>  >How come in this net only you speak for the ULFA, as if you can read their
>minds and speak on their behalf?

*** First off, I don't speak FOR ULFA. Nor am I a mind-reader, ULFA's
or others'.  But I am informed. And my information is not based on
Indian propaganda or Assam establishment's propaganda.

It used to be that I too thought and spoke like you guys regarding
ULFA at one time. But pretty soon I began to see, right here thru
Assamnet what has been going on . And I dug deeper. More I sought,
more I found. And thus my entire outlook changed to where it is today.

That is why I wrote to Dilip Deka yesterday that people can and do
change.  It all depends on one's desire to seek the truths. One can
take the position that he knows all he needs to know and remain
there. Or can take the analytical approach and go wherever it may
lead to. Choice is ours.

It so happens, I had taken the latter path all my life. I have never
been afraid to walk alone if needed.  My parents taught us that with
their own examples, as did my older siblings. And it has served me
well.

>  >I only speak with pain that, here are a bunch of misguided people who
>think they are carrying the fate of the Assam on their shoulders. They
>have lost the support from the local people and now they are holed up in a
>foreign country and bacame puppets in the hands of yet another foreign and
>  evil power (ISI).

*** Misguided is in the eye of the beholder. Misguided people also
cannot see what has been going on in Assam . But being beneficiaries
of the status quo, they seem to thing that is the best thing for the
rest as well.

You say ULFA LOST the support of local people.  Are you suggesting
they HAD support before? If they did WHY was it? And what happened
that caused them to withdraw that support?

I  hope you will answer those questions. Because it will educate us
all. Seriously!

Again , 'foreign' and 'evil' are words to fit ones propaganda needs
and to devalue the humanity of others. When you speak of ISI's evil,
you don't speak of RAW's evil, as if it does not exist, or cannot
exist. Why Mohan? Where is your 'fair and balanced' outlook here?

And the other question is WHY did you guys DRIVE your brethren whom
you once supported in their effort to do right by Assam, to the lap
of EVIL? Was that a brotherly thing to do :-)?

Take care.

cm