[Assam] End this disease called ULFA

Saikia, Hrishikesh IN BLR SISL Hrishikesh.Saikia at siemens.com
Thu May 17 02:02:45 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Ram Sarangapani [mailto:assamrs at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:42 AM
To: Chan Mahanta
Cc: Mohan R. Palleti; assam at assamnet.org
Subject: Re: [Assam] End this disease called ULFA

My 2 cents here

>*** Is this a wish or is it a plan? Surely I have seen innumerable
>attempts at WISHING ULFA away. But I don't believe anything has >come
out of it so far. So why should anyone give two hoots to >what Mohan
wishes, or for that matter what *I* wish?

I too think these are wishes, in a way. But these happen to be more
realistic than the wish that the GOI and many Assamese will just  cave
into wishes of the ULFA & its friends' "wishes" for independence.

It is a good possibility that the ulfa will someday drop the soverignity
issue, and come to some kind od face-saving agreemeny with the GOI and
they will like 'winners'

But to wish that the GOI will go against itself by giving away Assam (as
if it belongs to ULFA) and Kashmir (as if that belongs to the ISI)

is really wishing that the big, bad boy (GOI) will just go away.

>unless they too are harmed by ISI in some way. But most of all, if >ISI
is all that powerful and India is that impotent, in spite of its >size,
in spite of its wealth, in spite of its vaunted 'demokrasy', in >spite
of its how-many-thousand-years-old (?) civilization; then who >needs
such a paper tiger?

C'da - you are trying very hard to make people's dislike for ISI and the
illegal B'deshi problem as Hindu-Muslim or lungi-menace as you call it.
There may be some elements in India that may think that way, but most
people dislike/distrust the ISI as purely trouble makers (not because
they are Muslim, but more so because they make up a set of Pakistan that
hates India to the core - and Kashmir is only a small part of it)

The fact that you can give a pass to an orgnization like the ISI because
you think the rest of the Hindus are driven by some Hinduvtta hatred for
it is simply mind-boggling.

If you have the opportunity, you should look up the standing for ISI
unbiased sources like Starfor.com or even Jane's Defence  - they all
treat these the ISI as an extreme Islamic wing wanting to promote an
extreme Islamic World.

Now, about the Potentency issue of India against ISI (or ULFA). You and
I know that just because an organization like the ISI or the Ulfa have
some successes in hit & run, and hide among the masses DOES not make
them the victors or even brave.

The other thing is an orgnization like the ULFA can continue for another
50 to a hundred years easily. Someone will pay them to harm India, one
of those is the ISI. The ISI can pay ULFA to do its dirty job and sit
back. They have been doing this same thing in Kashmir too. And when the
Indian Army attacks (and often kills unarmed civilians), the sympathiers
of ULFA and Kashmir are all up in arms (so to speaK) to denounce the
army of attrocities.

Stages of this nature are often set. Take the case of the bombing in
Aath Gaon (Guwahati) yesterday or the day before. Ulfa sets up a series
of explosions, 2-3 people are killed. The Police, caught with its pants
down, claims one of the dead is an ULFA. The public says no - stages
strikes/hunger strike etc - and of course pro-ULFA organizations are up
front and center to flame up any anger toward GOA/Police and away from
who planted the explosions in the first place

Similar scenarion where a Teron was killed (a few days ago) - now that
has turned into an ethinic problem - TE laborers and villagers.

Basically, ULFA kills or bombs somewhere - run and hide in a village.
Army comes in full force, beats anyone and everyone, maybe even kill a
few. Tries to hide facts - gets caught, and all the pro-ulfa people are
there, egging on an unsuspecting village to stage some strike or 'rasta
bondho' - a few more killed - it goes on and on.

Such successes by the ULFA will actually never get the independence it
so desires for Assam.

If the Assamese people really wanted to be separate from India, their
heart and soul has to be in it - they must really, really want it - they
would have got it by now.

At 2:15 PM -0400 5/16/07, Mohan R. Palleti wrote:
>UlFA has become a cankerous growth fuelled by a foreign virus. This
growth
>must stop!

*** Let us agree, for argument's sake, that it is so. The question
then will be how to CURE that cancer. How does one STOP it?

>  >They should be given the opportunity to get out of it. Let them
>come home, put down their guns and help in rebuilding Assam. This way
they
>will be remembered as heroes.

*** Is this a wish or is it a plan? Surely I have seen innumerable
attempts at WISHING ULFA away. But I don't believe anything has come
out of it so far. So why should anyone give two hoots to what Mohan
wishes, or for that matter what *I* wish?

>  >Mixing up with the ISI will never bring any
>>respect to them. No Assamese worth their salt will ever forgive them
for
>this.

*** We all like to think we represent all of us think alike.
Unfortunately that is a delusion. ISI maybe the Devil incarnate to
those Indians who live under the delusion  that Kashmir is their
'poitrik xompotty' ( ancestral property) , never mind what the people
who inhabit the ground want. But those who do not believe that, may
very well not be moved by that connection, unless they too are
harmed by ISI in some way. But most of all, if ISI is all that
powerful and India is that impotent, in spite of its size, in spite
of its wealth, in spite of its vaunted 'demokrasy', in spite of its
how-many-thousand-years-old (?) civilization; then who needs such a
paper tiger?

Large segments of Assam, mercifully, is not that driven by
anti-Islamic paranoia that many otherwise able and intelligent
Indians are.

>There is a good shift in the number of youth who have come out of
>Assam to >take the opportunity of growth.

*** That is nice. But anyone who can do some ordinary arithmetic and
has a rudimentary knowledge of the geography of the region knows that
the percentage of those who are participating in that 'growth', is
minuscule. There are vast numbers of youth in the hinterland unseen
by the geographically challenged urban
'haves' whose world view is defined by their own limited exposures
and knowledge. That is another tragedy.