[Assam] IN ASSAM DOGS AND PUPPIES ARE KILLED FOR THEIR SKIN AND MEAT

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Sun May 20 10:45:57 PDT 2007

Dear C'da,

The good doctor, in all likelyhood, is probably from Assam too. No kharkhowa
can really hide behind a name like that. :) A name like "Sashanka" is almost
exclusive to Assam (maybe Bengal).

And, of course,  had to tread lightly, so as not to offend our neighbors in
Nagaland. But Manjoj Das has now opened this can of "kesu"  - placing this
delicacy squarely on the Nagas (and not on the Assamese:)).

I am a little confused, as to why you seem to attribute these delicacies to
the Assamese too. I guess some research is in order :)

So, on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, what better things to do than to
talk about kukur pitha, bwnda-kesu-bhaji, and you forgot something else -
the famous 'lao-paani' to wash it all down.

To those who don't know, lao-paani is simply 'water mellon water' or
'gourd-water'. It is a refreshing drink. Too much of washing down with this
drink is again usually followed by high-drama. Which in its own right, has
interesting stories of its own :). That drink was a sustenance, a manna from
the heavens, a kind of 'panchamrit', if you will, for many a hard-working,
student.
Not sure, if that practice still exists.

It was also interesting to know about the fig leaves (I mean kol-pat) :)

--Ram