[Assam] IN ASSAM DOGS AND PUPPIES ARE KILLED FOR THEIR SKIN AND MEAT

Priyankoo priyankoos at yahoo.co.in
Sun May 20 11:04:40 PDT 2007

When I was in Hyderabad, I got infamous with my stories of dog-eating (which is partly true :) ). One fine morning I find a bunch of girls for the ladies' hostel outside my door, inquiring if I have seen a puppy that used to frequent their hostel.

My Assamese and other NE  friends in Hyderabad University used to always request me to stay back whenever I visited them during the summer vacation saying "Aji thaki ja..rati sikaroloi goi mangso anim"

The Hyderabad Univ campus always saw a sharp drop in the number of stray dogs during summers!

About cat meat consumption I have heard stories from my friends from the interior villages of Tinsukia. The young men would consume cat meat as after consuming cat meat "military-e pitile nibikhai"...a sad reality!

Priyankoo

Ram Sarangapani <assamrs at gmail.com> wrote: Dear C'da,

 The good doctor, in all likelyhood, is probably from Assam too. No kharkhowa can really hide behind a name like that. :) A name like "Sashanka" is almost exclusive to Assam (maybe Bengal).

 And, of course,  had to tread lightly, so as not to offend our neighbors in Nagaland. But Manjoj Das has now opened this can of "kesu"  - placing this delicacy squarely on the Nagas (and not on the Assamese:)).

 I am a little confused, as to why you seem to attribute these delicacies to the Assamese too. I guess some research is in order :)

 So, on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, what better things to do than to talk about kukur pitha, bwnda-kesu-bhaji, and you forgot something else - the famous 'lao-paani' to wash it all down.

 To those who don't know, lao-paani is simply 'water mellon water' or 'gourd-water'. It is a refreshing drink. Too much of washing down with this drink is again usually followed by high-drama. Which in its own right, has interesting stories of its own :). That drink was a sustenance, a manna from the heavens, a kind of 'panchamrit', if you will, for many a hard-working, student.
 Not sure, if that practice still exists.

 It was also interesting to know about the fig leaves (I mean kol-pat) :)

 --Ram