[Assam] IN ASSAM DOGS AND PUPPIES ARE KILLED FOR THEIR SKIN AND MEAT

Mridul Bhuyan mridul_mb at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 02:54:40 PDT 2007

14/15 years back, one day, while I was dining at College of Vety. Sciences mess, Khanapara as a guest, few naga students were also dining with us. In addition to, the food provided by the hostel, these naga students were eating some black colored (thekera like thing) things in their plate. On enquiry, they said, that's dog's meat, which is put in a bamboo 'sunga' and kept above in the ceiling above the 'juixaal' for 2/3 years and final finished product is that black thing.

  Rgds.

  Mridul

Manoj Das <dasmk2k at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Himendrada, we'll do our bit.

  BTW Sashanka is VET working in NGO sector at Delhi.

  -manoj

  On 5/21/07, Himendra Thakur <hthakur at comcast.net> wrote:         Dear Manoj,

  During my 4 year stay in Nagaland, I became close to my Naga friends, and I came to know that "kukur-pitha" was a lie --- it continues to be a lie today.

  It is a lie similar to what you see in the movie "INDIANA JONES" by George Lucas where Indians were shown as people who eat live snakes.

  From time immemorial, people hurl ethnic slurs to demean others and glorify the self. India is full of this kind of ethnic slurs. These are the root of India's disunity and weakness. Very often, movies were used to spread ethnic insults. I remember a movie (by a Marathi producer) CHACHA CHOUDHARY that was directed against Gujarati   and South Indians. An exception was Uday Shankar's KALPANA where he protested against stereotyping people. Mahatma Gandhi was always against any ethnic slur. His article "Lovely Assam" will shine like a gem forever.

  Our goal is to build a strong India for which we need complete extirpation of ethnic smearing. If the report is true, the interview at India TV by Sushri Maneka Gandhi adds up to betrayal of India. Her irresponsibility is paramount because she is a Member of Parliament, a member of BJP and a prominent national leader.

  This is a very serious matter. Because of their hereditary features, people from Assam are already facing many problems in Delhi where they are identified with derogatory remarks such as "chepta", etc. For the sake of future generations of the Assamese, the slur hurled by Sushri Maneka Gandhi must be nipped at the bud. This is as serious as the "Grouping" that was stopped by Gopinath Bordoloi in 1946, earning an international reputation of stubbornness.

  As a Life-Member and Patron of "Assam Association of Delhi", I propose action in the following sequence:
  (1)   Assam Association of Delhi should take leadership in confronting the irresponsible, anti-national and divisive lies of Sushri Maneka Gandhi
  (2)   Before taking any action, Sushri Maneka Gandhi should be notified to explain, within 15 days, about the truth of the report.
  (3)   On expiry of 15 days, a PIL case should be filed on charges of anti-India activities against Sushri Maneka Gandhi and India TV under the provisions of the Constitution of India.
  (4)   One thousand effigies of Maneka Gandhi should be burned all over Assam within a month.
  (5)   Demands should be made to the Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh to condemn Maneka Gandhi.
  (6)   Demand should be made to BJP to expel Maneka Gandhi from BJP, failing which, rallies should the held all over Assam and Delhi against BJP leadership.

  It is a high time Assam should once again take a strong stand. Please let me know your opinion.

  I have facts about the lack of credibility of Sushri Maneka Gandhi, which I'll send to you after the 15 day notice mentioned above.

  With the best wishes,
  Himendra

  PS: For some reason not known to me, my membership at assamnet has been cancelled. Please post my letter whichever way you think the best.