[Assam] Right to Information in Assam

xourov pathok xourov at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 05:41:25 PDT 2007

> RTI FINDINGS LEAD TO VIOLENT THREATS IN ASSAM

> Guwahati, May 20, 2007:  Akhil Gogoi of Golaghat town in Assam has been a
> beleaguered man for more than a year now. His life under threat, he has
> been practically forced to go underground following multiple applications
> under the RTI Act that would bring to light massive corruption by local
> officials. He is not alone.  Namita Subedi,  Sanjit Tanti and many others
> in Assam have also faced violent threats after they questioned the
> implementation of various schemes through RTI.

Thank you, Sanjib-da, for forwarding this article.

It is not a coincidence that the anti-corruption movement is called the Transparency International.
(http://www.transparency.org/).  Right to information and transparency in governance is indeed
the way to go forward.  I hope the scope of RTI in India is further extended so that greater
public participation, or at least scrutiny, in public affairs and governance becomes possible.