[Assam] Pre-emptive defense!

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:23:43 PDT 2007

C'da

>*** Perhaps that is not a credo of the fair and balanced crowd , but >if we
go cry over all the wrongs of the world, what are the chances >anyone will
be listening? I have not seen any of the fair and the >balanced crowd
shedding tears over Darfur or East Timor or >Kashmir or Kakopothar .

Fair enough. Emotional distances do matter.

 >*** I don't know that anyone is prohibited from doing so. *But there >IS a
difference between the immensely powerful  army of the worlds >largest
'democracy' , armed with AFSPA, terrorizing defenseless* >villagers and
meting out summary justice at will and a rag-tag band >of insurgents
fighting a for freedom from that power.

Of course, there is. A powerful army "terrorizing' poor villagers.  Yes,
that does happen sometimes, and when it does, it should be condemned. But
maybe someone will also advise the ulfa cadres not to take refuge among the
innocent. Everyone knows its a common ploy - bomb or maim some innocent
people, the go and run and  hide among innocent villagers. And when the all
powerful big, bad army comes, just yell blue murder.

But, then should you or other ULFA supporters think they should condemn ULFA
bombing in Guwahati (on a daily basis now from Fancy Bazar to Athgaon) and
innocent people have been killed.

These people killed or mained DID NOT belong to the dreaded army - they were
just regular everyday people, breadearners and shoppers. They are not that "
immensely powerful army"

> But NOT all such victims' miseries  are equal.

You must be correct. In Guwahati, within the very heart of Assam, ulfa can
come in on a daily basis, kill innocent Assamese  - but their miseries are
not in any way equal to the ulfa who willingly take up arms to "protect
them". If ulfa is "protecting" them, why are they also killing them?
Oh! its a tangled web...

>I asked GoI supporters, a number of times  WHY   Assam should remain a
>subservient colony to be exploited by Indian interests, or WHY it is good
for India ?>to  hold on to Assam or for that matter Kashmir?

Perhaps, you may have missed it. Most people do not consider your theory
that Assam is a subservient colony of India. They think Assam is a part of
India, and have as many rights and privileges as any other state within the
Union.

What is MEANT by "good for India to hold one Assam" ? It doesn't really mean
anything.  Is this some kind of reverse psychology. You put up an assumption
or two, and then ask others to prove the reverse.
It strikes of pure sophistry.
The Indian Union is made of up diverse states and cultures. There is no
"good" or "bad" state to hold on to or reject. Is that the way you envision
the new country?
No country is made up that way and nor should they.

Let us take your example a little further. Let us assume Assam is an
independent country. Now, prove to us why this new country should say hold
on to say Silchar or Kokrajhar or Dhemaji or Borpeta?  Prove to us why any
of these will be GOOD for Assam? Go ahead, C'da, give it a try. There are
many other areas that come to mind.