[Assam] Studying in mother tongue is not an impediment: Toppers (The Assam Tribune.24.05.2007)

Buljit Buragohain buluassam at yahoo.co.in
Thu May 24 02:10:45 PDT 2007

                Studying in mother tongue is not an impediment: Toppers
By A City Correspondent
 GUWAHATI, May 23 – Studying in one’s mother tongue can never be an impediment to learning, it enhances the students’ understanding and grasp over any subject. The HSLC results have further boosted the confidence of the students and authorities of Axam Jatiya Vidyalaya, an Assamese-medium school that has been consistently producing toppers for the last several years.

The school has clinched the 2nd, 8th, 14th and 19th ranks. Talking to The Assam Tribune, second position holder Biman Kalita who adores the President of India, said having his education in his own mother tongue gave him an edge over the other students. He would like to pursue a course in aeronautical engineering.

Tanmoy Sharma (8th position) is proud of having his schooling in his own mother tongue. “Education in one’s mother tongue is the foundation which helps in scaling great heights,” voiced Tanmoy.

Hreedish Kakoty (14th position) is the son of Dr Sashindra Kr Kakoty and Meenakshi Kakoty. Barnali Barman (19th) is the daughter of Prabin Chandra Barman and Kusum Barman.

“The credit for the results goes to our teachers who are dedicated. We have always been discouraging private tuition and emphasizing fulfilling the needs of the students in the school itself,” said rector of Axam Jatiya Vidyalaya Ranjit Narayan Deka.

Another vernacular medium school, Shankardev Bidyaniketan, Guwahati had reasons to celebrate. Purabi Kalita, a student of this school secured the 16th position. “Education in one’s mother tongue is foundation to success,” opined Bhaben Talukdar, headmaster of the school.

On the other hand, the recent trend of schools from outside Guwahati dominating the toppers list has been hailed by Fr Joseph Thelekkatt, headmaster of Don Bosco High School, Guwahati. He called it a positive development. Pragyan Pratim Hazarika of this school, (10th) said his result had been on expected lines. “I thank my parents, teachers and well-wishers for my success. I intend to study Science in Cotton College,” he said.

Prabal Barman (13th), another of the five toppers from Don Bosco, said he used to study for 7/10 hours a day. “The result has been more or less expected,” he said. Pranjit Das (18th), also of Don Bosco, termed his success as the fulfilment of a cherished dream of his family. “I will pursue Science in Cotton College.”

Fr Joseph while hailing the overall performance of the school said that he was “a little bit disappointed” with the number of position-holders. “We have five rank-holders compared to eight last year. But the overall results have been quite good, with our students securing highest marks in Mathematics (11 Bosconians got 100 marks), Social Science and Computer Science,” he said.

It was celebration time at St Stephen’s School also. Rishav Dewan (13th) was elated not only for himself, but for his mother Anjana Dewan who took great pains to shape his dreams after the death of his father Dr JB Dewan.

   (The Assam Tribune.24.05.2007)