[Assam] Profile on Shantikam Hazarika ---by Mitra Kalita

xourov pathok xourov at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 08:21:46 PDT 2007

A good question.  The last few days I have been looking for barasahoriya bhaona on the net, and that culture did not look dependent.  But put another way, it could mean the Assamese have a strong sense of community, and work best in a community.  The individualist streak is missing, probably.

The individualistic streak can only develop in an urban environment, and even Guwahati is just a generation away from its rural moorings.  Shantikam Hazarika is probably a pioneering urbanizer, in that sense.