[Assam] Profile on Shantikam Hazarika ---by Mitra Kalita

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Thu May 24 12:19:57 PDT 2007

Good to have you back Xourov. Hope you will stay for a while :-).

*** I think the issue has to be looked at in more detail.  Hop[e
Hazarika will share his thoughts on the assessment.

If I were to look into it, my queries would be:

	Who does this group of  people with that 'dependency culture'  include?

	Does it include ALL who live in Assam? Or does it include
only those who are
	'ethnic' Assamese?

	If it is the former, then the cause might have environmental bearing.

	If it is the latter it might be cultural/economic /education
influenced.

	Also if it includes only the ethnic Assamese, then does it
encompass ALL economic
		strata?  If yes, that would be difficult to believe.
Because for those from the
		lowest economic strata, like rural folks, it would
not be a persuasive
		argument. They do not have the luxury nor the
wherewithal to go plea for
		a seat at a sought after institution for their
underage children, much less for
		grown adult children.

	That would leave urban/educated/economically established
sector in this group.

	That would lead one to inquire if the Indian governmental
structure, where mai-baap
	who know best, dictate to its grown adult children on what
they can or cannot do and
	control all their activities with the purse strings, creating
a permanent set of dependents
	have anything to do with it?

These are only some of the questions that come to mind. There are
more. It would be nice if Hazarika shared his thoughts and others
pitched in too.

Finally, if anyone in this list has Mitra's e-mail address or can
contact her, he/she might consider requesting her to participate in
the discussion too, if she can; or at least listen in.

cm