[Assam] Profile on Shantikam Hazarika ---by Mitra Kalita

mc mahant mikemahant at hotmail.com
Thu May 24 18:33:23 PDT 2007

< It would be nice if Hazarika shared his thoughts and others pitched in too.>
 Hazarika Sa'ab please elaborate.Nothing to shy away from.We all love you and your work.
mm

Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:19:57 -0500To: xourov at yahoo.com; cmahanta at charter.net; assam at assamnet.orgFrom: cmahanta at charter.netSubject: Re: [Assam] Profile on Shantikam Hazarika ---by Mitra Kalita

Good to have you back Xourov. Hope you will stay for a while :-).

*** I think the issue has to be looked at in more detail.  Hop[e Hazarika will share his thoughts on the assessment.

If I were to look into it, my queries would be:

        Who does this group of  people with that 'dependency culture'  include?

        Does it include ALL who live in Assam? Or does it include only those who are
        'ethnic' Assamese?

        If it is the former, then the cause might have environmental bearing.

        If it is the latter it might be cultural/economic /education influenced.

        Also if it includes only the ethnic Assamese, then does it encompass ALL economic
                strata?  If yes, that would be difficult to believe. Because for those from the
                lowest economic strata, like rural folks, it would not be a persuasive
                argument. They do not have the luxury nor the wherewithal to go plea for
                a seat at a sought after institution for their underage children, much less for
                grown adult children.

        That would leave urban/educated/economically established sector in this group.

        That would lead one to inquire if the Indian governmental  structure, where mai-baap
        who know best, dictate to its grown adult children on what they can or cannot do and
        control all their activities with the purse strings, creating a permanent set of dependents
        have anything to do with it?

These are only some of the questions that come to mind. There are more. It would be nice if Hazarika shared his thoughts and others pitched in too.

Finally, if anyone in this list has Mitra's e-mail address or can contact her, he/she might consider requesting her to participate in the discussion too, if she can; or at least listen in.

cm