[Assam] Rs 60 lakh scam in Golaghat DRDA -- RTI effect..

umesh sharma jaipurschool at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 04:58:21 PDT 2007

good work!!

  Umesh

bg <bgogoi at gmail.com> wrote:
  http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=may2607/at03

Rs 60 lakh scam in Golaghat DRDA
>From Our Correspondent
 DERGAON, May 25 – Following the application of Right to Information Act, the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti brought to light a major scam in Golaghat DRDA. According to information, a total of Rs 35 lakh under IAY cheme and Rs 25 lakh for stationary items supply were misused by the then project director Jajneswar Nath and UDA Tarun Bora. And as a result, the Golaghat DC ordered an enquiry of the matter on May 9.

Following the report of the enquiry in preliminary stage, the PD, Nath paid an amount of Rs 24.86 lakh under 'SJSRY' to a fake farm of Dergaon named BB Traders for supplying Muster Roll and Measurment Books. The PD sanctioned a supply order to supply 3 lakh 10 thousand Muster Roll forms and 50 thousand measurment books through his letter No. GDRDA/Gen-2/2006-07 dated 5-10-2006.

According to a source, the rates for the Muster Roll and MB's were sanctioned as Rs 4.80 and 18.80 respectively. The note of the order was prepared by one UDA Tarun Bora, who has been placed under suspension. According to information received, the amount was made by deduction of 30% from SJSRY (Sarna Jayanti Swa Rojgar Yojona by the UDA instead of 3% in procedure. But the same proposal from the project director was countersigned by the DC Dipak Kr Goswami on October 21, 2006.

Without any requirement, the UDA made the supply order and sanctioned to one BB Traders of Dergaon which has not been seen at Dergaon. According to latest information, UDA Tarun Bora made

his plan with the help of one physical instructor Bora. The payment was made to two females, one Bhattacharyya and Bora. The two ladies continued their activities of looting DRDA with the help of one printing press at Milanpur. The enquiry finds the name of the persons involved in the same areas Pizush Bhattacharya, one PI Bora, Swapna Bhattacharyya, Tulumoni Bora. The conscious citizens of the district have urged the government to punish the guilty persons involved in the racket.

  On 5/23/07, xourov pathok <xourov at yahoo.com > wrote:
> RTI FINDINGS LEAD TO VIOLENT THREATS IN ASSAM

> Guwahati, May 20, 2007:  Akhil Gogoi of Golaghat town in Assam has been a
> beleaguered man for more than a year now. His life under threat, he has
> been practically forced to go underground following multiple applications
> under the RTI Act that would bring to light massive corruption by local
> officials. He is not alone.  Namita Subedi,  Sanjit Tanti and many others
> in Assam have also faced violent threats after they questioned the
> implementation of various schemes through RTI.

Thank you, Sanjib-da, for forwarding this article.

It is not a coincidence that the anti-corruption movement is called the Transparency International.
(http://www.transparency.org/).  Right to information and transparency in governance is indeed
the way to go forward.  I hope the scope of RTI in India is further extended so that greater
public participation, or at least scrutiny, in public affairs and governance becomes possible.

--
Babul Gogoi / বাবুল গগৈ, নতুন দিল্লী
http://www.TARSHI.net

Washington D.C.