[Assam] Fwd: letters to the Editor

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Sat May 26 05:12:19 PDT 2007

C'da

I had read (and re-read) your prescription - granted its too early in the
AM. But it sounds soooooooooooo vague.

>I will ask my govt. to stop the institutionalized violence

Isn't that what the GOI and GOA are trying to do - stem the ULFA's (and
other insurgent) institutionalized and organized violence. You ought to be
in the forefront supporting the GOI :).

Seriously though - the GOI or any other govt. has only few options than to
respond with force and violence whengroups like the ulfa perpetrates
violence and runs. Even the US has done that ( David Koresh, Ruby Ridge).
No Govt. can afford to let some violence continue. That is WHY is surprises
the heck out of me - why the GOI or the GOA has taken such a long time to
let this sore fester and grow?

>responsive to the people's needs, re-organize the state's conflict
>resolution institutions to demonstrate a good faith towards effecting
>positive changes

I think the GOI and GOA over the last decade or so have moved toward such an
end. But then, it seems there are elements within the ulfa (from what I have
read) that do not want any peace or hold on to something rigid as
"sovereignty".
The word negotiations mean give and take. It does NOT mean that the GOI only
gives and the ULFA only takes - sorry that ain't happening ever.
>most of all sit down with ULFA and find a negotiated, political >solution.

This doesn't mean much. But if you could outline in detail, maybe we will
understand.
And as I said in an earlier post - I think the time is fast running out for
the ulfa to even make rudumentary demands. They may still hold out and
continue with the violence, but the tide is turning against them and
successive govts in the state and Center are getting tougher in dealing with
them as the years are going by.