[Assam] Clamour for a political solution to the ULFA demands from the trader community in Assam is a positive development. Every one should look at the ULFA stand as the core issue. NOT to treat it as a problem but a solution.

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Tue May 29 06:38:45 PDT 2007

Welcome back C'da. Was starting to wonder where you were? But then with this
beautiful weather, the 3-day-weekend and the fresh Ozark mountain air, I
guess, you were relaxing :)

>Are these traders, who are directly AFFECTED  by the escalating violence,
out of >their little minds;

What do you propose they do? The big interests these traders have are (a)
their bidness (b) their gahoks (or the safety of their customers).
With that in mind, they will even talk to the devil (if required) :)

What these traders are doing is essentially begging the ulfa is NOT TO KILL
them or their business. The brave ulfa will now decide what to do about
their fates - after all they are the ones that hold the bombs.
The traders will really settly for much less.

As for talks, it now seems clear that the ulfa is getting really desparate
for talks.
Why does it want to TALK to India when it wants to separate and seek its
independence? It should keep doing what it is best at doing - you know kill,
steal, rob and cause mayhem. Rest assured, it will still have its cotrie of
die-hard supporters :)