[Assam] Clamour for a political solution to the ULFA demands from the trader community in Assam is a positive development. Every one should look at the ULFA stand as the core issue. NOT to treat it as a problem but a solution.

Chan Mahanta cmahanta at charter.net
Tue May 29 07:11:00 PDT 2007

Ram:

>With that in mind, they will even talk to the devil (if required) :)

*** Perhaps these opportunists, therefore should be banished, failing
which, bombed out of existence, since they are working against the
sacred interests of the Indian state?

Or is there a fallacy here in your argument?

><What these traders are doing is essentially begging the ulfa is NOT
>TO KILL them or their business.

*** OK. Is that bad? Cowardly? Unlike the brave stand of the
unaffected and the secure, tacitly supporting GoI's stonewalling if
not  overtly?

>  > The brave ulfa will now decide what to do about their fates -
>after all they are the ones that hold the bombs.
The traders will really settly for much less.

*** Like what ? And where is the might of the Indian forces , if ULFA
is the one holding the cards on the traders' safety?

If ULFA is the one that will continue to decide who will be spared
and who will be bombed out of existence, and the state cannot defend
them, then is it not disingenuous to shed tears over their killing,
while supporting a status quo. Or are we under the delusion that
somehow lecturing  or taunting or begging from afar for ULFA to
disappear is  a sane approach for ending the conflict?

>  >The traders will really settly for much less.
>
>As for talks, it now seems clear that the ulfa is getting really
>desparate for talks.

*** So GoI ought  NOT to give in?

I don't know Ram. Seems like a rather unusual stance if you asked me.
If I were to believe that the ULFA is in the ropes, desperate for a
respite, then if were in GOIs shoes, I would seize the opportunity,
sit down for talks and try to get away with giving up as little as I
could, if that would END the conflict and stop the bloodshed.

But if I didn't want to give anything up at all, then I would be
happy to shed crocodile tears and let the poor b*****s  get blown to
smithereens. What would I have to lose, as long as I can hold on to
the real-estate?

>It should keep doing what it is best at doing - you know kill,
>steal, rob and cause mayhem. Rest assured, it will still have
>its >cotrie of die-hard supporters :)

*** I am at a loss here about your REASONING Ram: ULFA is desperate,
so GOI should not negotiate, and let ULFA continue to rob and kill
with the support of that despicable coterie of its followers.

What is missing here :-)?

c-da