[Assam] Clamour for a political solution to the ULFA demands from the trader community in Assam is a positive development. Every one should look at the ULFA stand as the core issue. NOT to treat it as a problem but a solution.

Ram Sarangapani assamrs at gmail.com
Tue May 29 07:46:16 PDT 2007

C'da,

Lets go over this a bit.

>>With that in mind, they will even talk to the devil (if required) :)
>*** Perhaps these opportunists, therefore should be banished, failing

As traders and businessmen, they are only eager to see things go smoothly.
They will be willing to talk to anyone and everyone to get that done.
Now, is that bad? No, not at all. In fact, most ordinary folks will just opt
for that "leave us the heck alone" and "don't kill us".

I am surprised that you (of all people) would interpret & count these
positions as some great support for the cause of freedom and ulfa.

 >*** Like what ? And where is the might of the Indian forces , if ULFA is
the >one holding the cards on the traders' safety?

C'da - the Ozark mountain air must have had something to do with your
usually incisive reasoning. :)

We have explained a number of times about this. If you believe that the
Indian army is that bad, maybe the ulfa should march all the way to Delhi
and capture the halls of the parliament!

The ULFA holds the cards of (a) hit and run (b) mix among the people and get
lost (c) no uniforms.

Given those situations, and with a continued amassing of wealth thru
extortions and robbing, and buying weapons from the B'deshis or the Pakis
support, the ULFA WILL be able to continue for another 100 years.
Now, what will it tell us:
It will tell us, that the ulfa is able to attract some wayward young men
into their groups. At least temporarily - till many of them get
disillusioned and get back some sanity.

But the bigger question you and others need to ask is, whether the ulfa will
ever get its freedom?

>who will be bombed out of existence, and the state cannot defend them,
>then is it not disingenuous to shed tears over their killing, while
supporting a >status quo.

C'da - any coward can plant a bomb in a busy location and run for it and of
course kill many people in the process.
Now, is that HOW the ULFA want the GOI or the people to come to talks?
It is like saying "Talk to us, or we will kill  some when your attention is
elsewhere"
That is how airplane hijackers do or even bank robbers do.

The question now is (a) do you ask the hostages if the GOI should talk to
them or (b) should the GOI take a stand and say - we don't talk to
terrorists

and when these hostages (the traders and the common folks in this case)
clamor for talks, peace and such, of all people you would assume it is
support for the ULFA.

All I am saying is that the GOI should ONLY negotiate when the ulfa stops is
mayhelm. Also the GOI should negotiate only with sovergnity OFF the table.

Everyone should understand - that it is imperative for the ulfa and its
supporters to insist on talks or negotiations, but not so for the GOI. Now,
whether its fair or not - that is how it is going to be as the GOI holds all
the aces and we all know what the ULFA holds - it can put the common people
of Assam into hell of a scare (the very people it claims to defend and
support).