[Assam] World's Ignorance About Assam:

Krishnendu Chakraborty krish_gau at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 17:46:14 PDT 2007

Check into the following links ... looks like it is
the Regional Parties including AASU, NESO who are
demanding Inner Line Permit.  Also, it has been there
since British Days (1873) and NOT introduced after
Independence

http://www.e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=6..310806.aug06

http://archives.zinester.com/76029/136481.html

http://www.sinlung.com/Articles/Opinions/999.html

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=c50f99fb-b44a-493d-9cd9-91a22f46f2fb&&Headline=No+data+on+Bangladeshis+in+Assam%3a+Gogoi

http://www.hvk.org/articles/0907/51.html

Is this a valid argument for Sovereign Nagaland,
Manipur or AP (Assam anyway does not have ILP so
argument for Assam does not hold water) ?

With 100+ terrorist organizations operating  in NE,
there will be a minimum of 20+ Independent Countries
(with a very conservative assumption that some of
these organizations will come to some sort of
coalition).

So you will then need Visa for 20+ countries ... a
much bigger hurdle then current ILP.
Some may argue about the European Model but it does
not look feasible here with Nagaland fighting with
Assam, Meghalaya having border dispute with Assam,
some sections warning that they will throw out
Assamese out of their region.

Interestingly,  RSS, the organization which is hated
by some supporters of Sovereign Assam,   demands
withdrawal of ILP !!

>That looks like worse than under the British and that
makes it a strong
case for >independence from India.
>RB

>And that would set up a standard for regions within
India to claim
independence?
>What is this great need for giving any reason at all?
>Why not just say something like 'just
because.........' and clamor for
>independence!

>--Ram

On 9/24/07, Rajen & Ajanta Barua <barua25 at
hotmail.com> wrote:

>  >But research visas (they are usually for long
stays with research as the

> >explicit reason) are almost never given to study
the Northeast. Thus most

> >major academic work by foreigners on the region was
done before
> >Independence.
> That looks like worse than under the British and
that makes it a strong
> case for independence from India.
> RB
>  ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sanjib Baruah"
<baruah at bard.edu>
from around the world"
> <assam at assamnet.org>
Assam:

> > For Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram and
Manipur foreigners need
> > restricted areas permits in addition to their
Indian visas. See:

http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ_Restricted_Area.htm

> > It is usually not difficult for a group of four to
get it (probably not
> > Manipur) perhaps because the government thinks
such a large group is
> > likely to be a tourists and not academics,
journalists etc who might
> write about
> > the situation in the region.
> >
> > Indians need Inner Line permits for Arunachal
Pradesh, Mizoram and
> > Nagaland. They are issued by the Resident
Commissioners of those states
> in
> > New Delhi, Deputy Commissioners,  Liason Officers
in places like
> Guwahati
> > and Shillong.
> >
> > But research visas (they are usually for long
stays with research as the

> > explicit reason) are almost never given to study
the Northeast. Thus
> most
> > major academic work by foreigners on the region
was done before
> > Independence.
> >

> > SB
> >

> > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think Indian nationals need a permit
(inner line) for Assam. I
> have
> >> heard its true of Arunachal Pradesh & maybe
Nagaland.

> >> Visas are for foreigners with the exception of
Bangladeshis, ISI agents
> and
> >> Bangladesh Intelligence (oxymoronic:)). They are
free to come and go as
> they
> >> like.
> >> With that in mind, I am not sure how it would be
an advantage for ULFA
> on
> >> this count. Inner line or not, visa or not, it
may only be meant to
> keep
> >> genuine visitors away - at least discourage
them.:)

> >> BTW: I just checked both the Ministry of External
Affairs and the Home
> >> Ministry (GOI) web pages. There is no mention of
inner line permits for
> the
> >> NE states. Is the inner line a State issue (and
not central)?

hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
against GOI for ULFA
> and
Sisters.

at assamnet.org
About Assam:

act against tourists.
> You
Seven Sisters even
> though you
like to just take a
> trip to
throughout NE India (Seven

ignorance about Assam and
> the
last year in the net.
> This
East India has been
> skipped
insurgents).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-3698267-9465440?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Robert%20Arnett>(Author<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-3698267-9465440?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Robert%20Arnett%3E(Author>

high editorial reviews:

full reviews in
> Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/><http://amazon.com/>)

colorful book because it did