[Assam] CORRECT NRC, CAA and CLAUSE 6 of Assam Accord

Bidyananda Barkakoty barkakoty at yahoo.co.in
Tue Dec 17 01:16:43 PST 2019

CORRECTNRC, CAA and CLAUSE 6 of Assam Accord

The present agitation over CAB/CAA is beingparticipated in by youngsters who have not seen Assam Agitation and also bypeople who have seen the agitation. I am one of those who actively participatedin the six years long agitation against illegal immigrants. During the years ofagitation and much after that we knew illegal immigrants meant MuslimBangladeshis or Miya. In thatagitation, Assamese Muslims and Hindus participated whole-heartedly. I knowthat there is no mention of Muslim or Hindu in the Assam Accord but it wasclearly understood by all that the agitation was against large-scale influx ofMuslims from Bangladesh and small percentage of Hindus from Bangladesh. We weretold by different leaders at that time that there are more than one croreillegal immigrants, some said 70 lakhs, some said 50 lakhs and even Govt ofIndia said that it is more than 50 lakhs!!! This 50 lakhs figure is afterconsidering 1971 as cut-off year as per Assam Accord and even this cut-off yearis debatable. In last more than three decades, Assam Accord has not beenimplemented in letter and spirit till now.

We have lost one valuable academic year,855 people were martyred, our state went back by 20 years, there was huge lossof property and business activities, many have become physically invalid, etc.We have hugely sacrificed and therefore I want to know where are these 50 lakhspeople after final publication of NRC??? In the final NRC, the names of only 19lakhs people have been left out, among which 50% are indigenous people!Therefore, have the illegal immigrants entered their names in NRC tactfully orthere was no migration of people from Bangladesh as claimed by Congress andleftists? We Assamese people are intelligent enough to know which is true.

During agitation years, one commonphrase was “Detection-Deletion-Deportation”. We all know deportation is notpossible but NRC process has miserably failed even in Detection and Deletion. Ias an Assamese want a “XUDDHO NRC”,as simple as that. I am surprised that agitation against CAA is completelysilent on CORRECT NRC!!! Some say that NRC matter is in Court and therefore weneed not shout on the streets and if that is so then CAA matter is also now inCourt and hence we should wait for the Hon’ble Supreme Court to give itsverdict.

Border with Bangladesh should definitelybe sealed. However, Bangladesh is now more prosperous than before and thereforeinflux from across the border (whether Muslim or Hindu) may not be that grave.

 In my opinion we Assamese should nowstrongly demand :-

(1)  aCORRECT NRC,

(2)  immediateimplementation of Clause 6 of the Assam Accord

(3)  fightagainst CAA in the Hon’ble Supreme Court.

 Nothing more – nothing less.

Jai Aai Axom.

Bidyananda Barkakoty, B.E.